BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My Chiffon Ivory JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread

More
13 Mar 2020 21:35 #219841 by Soeley
Wow, excellent write up. Although I cannot compare to any other 4x4 as this is my first of any kind. I totally agree with your on road review and view of other online reviews.

To me the Jimny is a car that encourages a more relaxed driving style, enjoy the scenery instead of whizzing past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2020 16:14 #219860 by treps
Great review, thank you.
Snap, I have the same model and colour. Reading this thread could cost me quite a bit in mods...
Are you considering a snorkel?

More
14 Mar 2020 21:28 #219869 by 300bhpton
A couple more mods.....

Today's job was to fit some diff guards from Jimnybits. These were kindly bought for me as a birthday present recently :D

Rear guard, looks simple enough to fit:

Up on some ramps for better access:

It fixes via two bolts on the diff to diff housing, then a U bolt over the axle tube at each end. Nothing more than a 12mm sock, extension and deep 17mm socket required. One of the easiest off road mods I've performed:

All done :)

Now onto the front diff. Sadly no instructions were included with the guards, although once ushered up, they are fairly obvious how they fit.

The front guard is of distinctly different design. No bolts included part from a single U bolt. Looking at the front diff, you can see the bracket for the front radius arm as some studs that the bolt passes through. The guard is designed to hang onto those.

Only one radius arm bolt need undoing, just enough to move the threads inside the stud, then the guard slipped up and into place.

Tighten the U bolt and job jobbed!

Jimny vs Jeep:

More
14 Mar 2020 21:31 #219870 by 300bhpton

treps wrote: Great review, thank you.
Snap, I have the same model and colour. Reading this thread could cost me quite a bit in mods...
Are you considering a snorkel?

I'm undecided on a snorkel. As tbh I probably won't do any water wading to justify it. I know they kind of look cool, but are also a tad bulky and for me are on the wrong side of the car, being the drivers side.

And while I have no problems cutting holes in my 1970's Land Rover (which has an aluminium body). I'm a little more hesitant on a brand new vehicle with a steel body.

So if I do get one, it will be way down the list for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: treps

More
15 Mar 2020 05:17 #219878 by crash486
There are a few around. TJM, vogue, one from Brazil , or fab your own.

crash486

More
20 Mar 2020 13:23 #220089 by 300bhpton
A bit more off road use. It seems to go everywhere well enough, but a bit more flex wouldn't go amis. Definately finding the front bumper hits the ground quite a bit and that really low front recovery point has once again dug itself about 4" into the ground. I hate to think what it would be like on rocks.

You can just about see how much mud is on the front recovery point in this shot:

More
20 Mar 2020 13:28 #220090 by 300bhpton
New tyres have arrived!!! Will need to wait until next week to get fitted though.

More
20 Mar 2020 19:27 #220107 by Soeley
What size are those tyres?

More
20 Mar 2020 20:31 #220109 by 300bhpton

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2020 20:45 #220110 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic My JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread
Only 5mm more ground clearance.
Yes they look well bigger but there not.
Simple look at the width not the height.

More
20 Mar 2020 21:29 #220111 by Soeley
Looks a lot bigger in the above picture.

More
20 Mar 2020 22:40 #220113 by 300bhpton
The maths work it out at 11mm difference in diameter. But of course that assumes both tyres are 100% accurate in their diameter based on the figures for calculating it.

I can't find published data for either tyre for their exact height or diameter, however I would say they certainly look more than 10mm taller.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds