BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

new member, new (to me!) Jimny

More
14 Jan 2020 00:00 #217247 by lard
Hi all - first post on the forum and a first time jimny owner!

Picked this up last week and so far finding it really fun - it's planned to be a car for my kids to learn in, a winter car for my wife to make it into work (nurse so needs to be in during bad weather!) and also as a runabout and for some more serious off-roading than my old discovery 3 that is, quite frankly, pampered!

It's a 2001 with over 110K miles on it, seems to have been looked after and welding already done for the boot floor so one less job to tick off, slowly getting to know it and to date have a small list of must-do type stuff (belts, fluid changes, idle issue, death wobble e.t.c.!) - already "fixed" one issue where I thought the passenger window was broken until I found the child lock button....!!

Forum has been a great help so far - my first two priorities:

5 x AT tyres (looking for known good 2nd hand)
A second key with remote fob

Look forward to conversing with you all at some point!

Pointers on the top two priorities welcome :)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Jan 2020 05:26 #217249 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Black is the best colour by a country mile apart from for being seen by other road users. Be careful with second hand tyres they can be a bit of a liability especially in more off road patterns as you have no idea what they have been driven over and why they are really being sold. That said I would like to hope that any you find in the for sale section would be accurately described and genuinely useable.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Jan 2020 05:35 #217250 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic new member, new (to me!) Jimny
A JIMNY WELCOME

More
14 Jan 2020 07:46 #217255 by sniper
A key with all the internal transmitter gubbins is a dealer part, if you have an old key that's damaged, Timpsons the cobblers at Tesco stores will supply and cut a new key and fit the old transmitter to it.

Tyres, if you are keeping the car, spend some cash and get a set that you are happy with. (your family will be using it...) If you choose well, tyres can transform these little 4x4's. Far better than OE fitment can be found.

My wife's a nurse, we live at the side of the Peaks, snow is an issue. I like to lane a little but it is a road car so I went for AT's too. BFGoodrich KO2's they are at the top end of the market but they are a very good tyre.

I have heard good things about Cooper Discoverer AT3's from a few people...

Welcome and enjoy doing stuff in the Jimny that you daren't do in the Landrover, they are lots of fun...

sniper

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2020 14:25 #217264 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic new member, new (to me!) Jimny
Welcome to the forum

More
14 Jan 2020 15:15 #217265 by kirkynut
Welcome along.

I'm not sure that year came with remote locking. You might have to get an aftermarket kit.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
14 Jan 2020 18:32 #217267 by Soeley

More
15 Jan 2020 14:05 #217283 by DrRobin
With that number of people wanting to drive it, you will need a good booking calendar as well.

I bought a Jimny last October having had a string of BMW company cars (3 years each, but no longer the case) and to compliment my Porsche Boxster. After having the Jimny about a month both of my neighbours said how good it looked and one of them said both their children wanted it. They have never said that about any of my company vehicles or Boxster.

Anyway your Jimny looks great and sounds like it has already been a big hit with the family so a brilliant purchase, enjoy.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
15 Jan 2020 16:22 #217284 by Max Headroom
Hi Lard (epic username!) a BigJimny welcome to the forums!

My neighbour is a midwife and has a Jimny for winter use too.

I'd like to second Sniper's comments about tyres, and add that the winter compounds or even all-season compounds can and will also make a big difference too.
I'm currently using all-season tyres and have never looked back

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
21 Jan 2020 14:25 #217481 by lard
Replied by lard on topic new member, new (to me!) Jimny
Thanks all for the warm welcome and advice!

Appreciate the information and will update as I progress!

More
09 May 2020 10:06 #222044 by lard
Replied by lard on topic new member, new (to me!) Jimny
An update on progress for the Jimny over the last few months!

I went for AT tyres in the end, Yokohama Geolanders and pleased with them so far - also started replacing the rear springs as very sagged on drivers side, only to discover that the suspension cup had rusted off the chassis :( - some cash and a fantastic mobile welder later and new suspension cups, new springs and new shocks on the rear have improved handling no end!

Also changed both belts on the engine, plugs changed and next on the list is coolant flush, new oil and filters - I've also been spending far too much time cleaning it... found out today it's metallic black!

I attempted to clean the engine bay yesterday as it was filthy, now looking better and didn't realise the inside of the bay was grey!
Attachments:

More
09 May 2020 10:10 #222045 by lard
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds