BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My First ZOOK!

More
22 Sep 2020 04:55 #228433 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:My First ZOOK!
The Americans called Suzukis "zuki", "Zook" etc, all based on shortening "Suzuki" and it's kind of stuck, particularly with people who owned earlier SJ and vitaras which were available in the USA so many more modifications were available. Kind of like "Landy" being used for landrovers in general.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2020 08:49 #228437 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Re:My First ZOOK!
Ah yes l see it now!

Thank you.

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
22 Sep 2020 09:07 #228439 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Re:My First ZOOK!
In addition to Martins Post, I've got some relatives in Australia where SJ's and Jimny's are always referred too as Zooks!

In reality, it just seemed to spring to mind when creating a username on Big Jimny :whistle: :laugh: :laugh:

More
22 Sep 2020 09:22 #228440 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Re:My First ZOOK!
And I just purchased SU70 OKY for the future

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
26 Sep 2020 17:12 #228574 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic My first ZOOK!
Evening,

I picked up the gen.3 steel wheels today from a nice chap in Paignton called Dean. I'm really chuffed about their condition considering they only cost me £10 each.. They're all structurally sound with no dents/flat spots. They all have standard amounts of the brown stuff, I'm going to call my local powder coating firm on Monday to get a quote for shot blasting! If they want silly money for that work I'll likely strip them by hand with an aggressive wire cup.

In terms of paint after having a chat with Mr Buzzweld, I've been recommended Buzzweld RCP primer (now known as rust encapsulator) followed by raptor liner. This should offer years of corrosion protection & a very durable finish, I've used Buzzweld before during my rust prevention project and was super happy with the quality of their products.

For the TPMS system I've purchased the battery operated bypass system listed here: TPMS BYPASS This small unit cost £55 delivered and will fit conveniently in the glovebox/under the drivers seat and completely bypass the annoying TPMS system.

More to follow next week.... :silly:

Attachments:

More
26 Sep 2020 17:35 #228575 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic My first ZOOK!
I look forward to seeing them finished.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
26 Sep 2020 18:48 #228577 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic My first ZOOK!
I had bought rims that looked quite similar and i repaired them myself. I think important was to use rust converter especially between the outer rim and the inner rim. Otherwise rust might reappear soon.

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
01 Oct 2020 09:58 #228668 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic DAG ZOOK's Gen. 4
Morning all,

A quick update for the forum:

The wheels have returned from the shot blasting shop, I'm pleased with the way they have turned out. As I've said before, IMO shot blasting is the best possible surface finish prior to any sort of plating/coating/paint.

After the wheels were de-greased using an alkali based degreaser, I used a phosphoric acid based prep spray (POR-15 metal prep) to etch/neutralise the steel. This step is probably overkill as I'm using an etching primer, but I had the metal prep already so why not :whistle: **beware using this stuff, it's nasty..**

Finally this morning I got the first two wheels painted in BUZZWELD RCP rust inhibiting primer, sadly I need to pop back to mr Buzzweld to purchase another two tins to finish the other steelies.

More to come in the up and coming few days..... :silly:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
02 Oct 2020 11:16 #228695 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic My First ZOOK!
UPDATE:

All four steel wheels are now prepped and ready for Raptor coating, I'll let them sit in the warm for 24 hours before coating them.

Taking the advice from some of you (RainerK) who highlighted the steel wheel design weak-point (the crevice where the two sections of wheel join) I came up with a solution that I hope should prevent any further rust ingress long-term.

Whilst painting it was almost impossible to get a decent layer of paint in the crevice without ruining the finish of your adjacent surfaces, so I settled on the use of 'Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80' which is essentially a SBR coating/sealant with rust converter additives. I had this lying around in the garage from previous projects, the stuff lasts years. Because it has a consistency of water but dries very hard and is fully over paintable, I was able to brush this into the crevices forming a nice hidden seal. Much neater than trying to force seam sealant in that gap IMO.

Results Pre-Raptor, 2 x coats of Buzzweld RCP & Sealer brushed into crevices:

Attachments:

More
02 Oct 2020 20:41 #228708 by jackonlyjack

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Oct 2020 04:44 #228710 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic My First ZOOK!
I'd just clear those and run them like that, they look cool! Yes I am aware I'm odd.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
03 Oct 2020 13:46 #228727 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic My First ZOOK!
UPDATE:

Wheels were raptor coated today, I'm really chuffed with the outcome. I'm sure it's not everyones 'cup of tea' but that doesn't really matter. Upol Raptor Aerosol's are a joy to work with, just make sure you shake them correctly and for the specified amount of time. Also hold the aerosol can at chest height and 'dust the coats on' to get the best results.

The Insides of the wheels are yet to be painted, but the next time you see an update will be when the wheels get wrapped in BFG K02 rubber B)

Happy to answer any questions people may have!!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds