BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Hi from Timor-Leste (East Timor)

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2019 11:54 #212782 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Hi from Timor-Leste (East Timor)
Interesting stuff!

Just wanted to say hi, and welcome to the forum :) :) :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pedro16v
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2019 05:00 #213160 by pedro16v
Replied by pedro16v on topic Hi from Timor-Leste (East Timor)
Back from my trip in one piece!

Over 500km of rugged roads across the island. Took me around 9 hours to get to the far east tip (240km). The Jimny carried 4 people plus some luggage and had no troubles (nothing new, anyway).

Because now some tarmac stretches are finally ready along the way, I was able to drive at 80 km/h for a while and had to opportunity to validate my suspicions that the brake rotors are severely warped (you can't really tell when all you do is 30km/h :lol: ). At first I thought it was the dreaded death wobble but then, after reading the information on this site, I realized that if it only happens when braking, it's probable the rotors. I'll try replacing those and take it from there. However, it does leak a bit from the steering ball joint (?).

The other thing that always happens after a longer or harder trip, is the auto box behaviour. The next day, I couldn't get past 1st gear unless I restarted the engine a few times. I still don't know if it is a question of heating up a bit (having to drive a few minutes in 1st gear...) or the casual ignition off and on again. From what I can read from the service manual, and according to the P0730 error I can read from the ECU, one of the solenoids or one of the shaft speed sensors could be the culprits. I'll try to measure voltages over the weekend to see if I get to any conclusion.

Despite all this, me and my friends had a blast thanks to the little Jimny. I hope I can get rid of these intermittent problems because it is starting to be a vehicle I can trust completely give that I had to mess with almost every component of it already :laugh:

I leave with a picture from a crocodile-infested lake that we visited. It's dry in this time of the year.

Attachments:

More
05 Sep 2019 09:05 #213166 by RainerK
Regarding the automatic gearbox, maybe you find a shop that does flushing. Changing the transmission fluid is sometimes not sufficient, especially if the oil is worn. Flushing is supposed to remove particles and deposits from inside the gearbox.

• pedro16v
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Sep 2019 01:49 #213308 by pedro16v
Replied by pedro16v on topic Re:Hi from Timor-Leste (East Timor)
That is very good idea RainerK, will see about that.

This weekend I played around with the multimeter and found out that solenoid B is shorted! Followed the procedures on the workshop manual and found out that, with the ignition on, voltage between TCM terminal and ground should be around 0 but it read 11V. All other solenoids read 0.

I'm not really sure how I can find were the short is but that will be an adventure for a different weekend :D

More
09 Sep 2019 13:28 #213331 by kirkynut
9 hours 4 up! I'd not like to spend 9 minutes in the back of a Jimny!

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Could it be just the solenoid at fault? If not, I've no idea.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• pedro16v
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2020 07:32 #217835 by pedro16v
Hi guys, first post of the year.

I managed to get a new solenoid (to replace the one I believe is the culprit). Should be able to swap it soon, along with some other minor stuff. I will let you know how it plays out.

More
30 Jan 2020 19:12 #217863 by kirkynut
Cool. I'm intrigued!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• pedro16v
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2020 07:37 #227058 by pedro16v

pedro16v wrote: Hi guys, first post of the year.

I managed to get a new solenoid (to replace the one I believe is the culprit). Should be able to swap it soon, along with some other minor stuff. I will let you know how it plays out.

Aaaaand it wasn't the solenoid :angry:

I finally had the chance to gut the transmission block and change the solenoid (the only one that sits on top of the block, making me to have to disassemble it). After changing the thing, problem remains.

This was in preparation for a new trip around the country. I had a few parts coming from Australia that got stuck due to Covid but after a few months I got them. That included king pin kits for both front wheels but, luckily, it was simply a case of warped discs! (the Wiki is always right ) so I'll change those later.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open for symptoms and probable read all the codes again. I don't have many more options here since there's no real mechanics able to fix this without saying "new transmission, 1000 usd, good price" :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds