BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Repair or scrap / break

More
25 Oct 2022 11:53 - 25 Oct 2022 20:47 #245573 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Re:Repair or scrap / break
No one got any suggestions?

I’m concerned with search engines as for instance if I use eBay and put in the car details it comes up with this Link  for the lambda sensor but I’m not sure from the advert itself if it’s correct for the earlier engine

Anti roll bar drop links seem to go from £12 on eBay  to £46 Here  for one, though I’d replace both to be safe.   One is £26 on the  BigJimny shop

Paul

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2022 20:47 by Paul4A.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2022 09:33 - 27 Oct 2022 09:42 #245609 by Paul4A
I’m told by the supplier that this lambda sensor simssuzukiparts.co.uk/products/new-bosch...8986507-suzuki-jimny will fit though will need the electrical connector changing. It’s not actually listed for my early model.

I’ve just found this YouTube video
of someone changing a connector on a sensor.

I noted in the video that he uses a special socket to remove and refit the sensor. Something else I’d not figured on but I see them sold on eBay.

As above, advice is welcome

Paul

Last edit: 27 Oct 2022 09:42 by Paul4A. Reason: Update on socket

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Oct 2022 13:23 #245612 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Repair or scrap / break
On my 54 plate Jimny I had to replace the downstream sensor and found the expensive way that none genuine is a lottery. It was the start of only fitting genuine or Gucci standard parts for me. It's worth mentioning this was best part of 15 years ago so things may have improved but I doubt it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
27 Oct 2022 13:45 - 27 Oct 2022 14:09 #245614 by Paul4A
Thanks for the reply Lambert.
I contacted my local Suzuki dealer who said that a genuine lambda sensor is £279 +VAT and is non returnable ( from Germany) so would need money up front. It’s also at least 10 days delivery. That’s ridiculous.

I did get the lambda sensor part number however, as 18213-50G01.  EBay finds some around the £100 mark, or slightly less if buying from abroad.

or were you talking about the drop link?  My Suzuki dealer sells them, part number 42081A10 for £52 each.

Paul

Last edit: 27 Oct 2022 14:09 by Paul4A. Reason: Updated information

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Oct 2022 17:20 #245620 by Lambert
The lambda sensor. Like I said it was a while ago and pricing wasn't that awful.

More
25 Dec 2022 22:45 #246549 by Paul4A
Merry Christmas all.   Just thought I’d advise that the Jimny lives again.   All the repairs have been carried out, plus some extra welding found when taken to a different MoT garage and it’s back on the road again.   Some of the welding was to improve that done poorly in the past but what’s done is done.   Got it back earlier this week and it’s nice to be back driving it again.

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Dec 2022 03:39 #246551 by Lambert
Congratulations, another one saved!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul4A

More
26 Dec 2022 10:08 #246553 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Repair or scrap / break
Glad you have her back on the road.

More
02 Feb 2023 14:57 - 02 Feb 2023 15:10 #247323 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Repair or scrap / break
I've noticed an intermittent squeaking noise from under the bonnet which now seems to be occurring more frequently and can be there when stationary and now also moving.  My first thought was a worn belt or pulley noise but after a quick look under the bonnet and seeing two belts with several options I thought I'd better ask here first if there are any common issues.    The alternator is to the left of the engine but I'm not sure what that is low down on the right, where the belt is routed via an intermediate pulley on the engine block.   The belts may well be original so over 20 but they appeared to at least be the correct tightness.   Are there any common failings?

Paul

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Feb 2023 15:10 by Paul4A.

More
02 Feb 2023 23:53 #247326 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Repair or scrap / break
One belt drives the alternator and water pump, the other drives the power assisted steering and air con (if fitted).

The crank pulley has a rubber cush drive, these seem to fail and the pulley runs off centre, well it happened to my 2011 a couple of years ago and spat both belts off. On inspection you could see it was out of line.

The belts themselves seem very tight, try twisting on the longest length, it should just turn 90 degrees when in correct tension.

I set my new belts very carefully but even so on a cold morning with the blower on and lights you can hear a bit of belt squeal at low revs, it soon goes.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
03 Feb 2023 11:15 #247331 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Repair or scrap / break
I have had aircon both clutch and pump fail, on my swift wich is the same item as the Jimny. You can try to listen with or without the aircon on. With it on it will switch in and out by itself but off it should remain off. This way you can check if it is the pump or clutch making the noise.
Also heard of dynamo bearings giving in and make noise.
When the rubber is old and hard it will sooner or later become so hard from age and the engine heat, that it will make noise to tell you it is time for a service.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
14 Feb 2023 13:24 - 14 Feb 2023 13:25 #247610 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Repair or scrap / break
Thanks for the replies.  For information, the car is from 1999 and does not have air conditioning and probably it’s only form of luxury is electric windows.  My partner who owns it would be happy without those. 

When I get some other ( non Jimny) jobs done I might look into replacing the belts and how to change the tension on them.

Paul

Ps Soeley, it’s apparently (my partners car) a boy so “he’s” back on the road.

Last edit: 14 Feb 2023 13:25 by Paul4A.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds