BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5

More
10 Jun 2019 17:12 #209809 by Gadget
Fixed one of the things on my minor annoyances list. The lack of power to 12v accessory or USB sockets when the ignition is off prevents you from charging your phone when camping unless you have the car turned on.

I fitted a combined USB port/voltmeter into the blank for the JDM start button. The space could have been made for it! :)

Part used: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F8R9F6L/r...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2019 17:25 #209811 by stiffsteve204me

Gadget wrote: Fixed one of the things on my minor annoyances list. The lack of power to 12v accessory or USB sockets when the ignition is off prevents you from charging your phone when camping unless you have the car turned on.

I fitted a combined USB port/voltmeter into the blank for the JDM start button. The space could have been made for it! :)

Part used: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F8R9F6L/r...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What a good idea, Gadget. :woohoo:

Were did you connect to?

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

More
10 Jun 2019 17:42 #209815 by Gadget
I used to included earthing strap to connect to the far end of this bolt:

The bolt screws into a fixed retaining nut, but enough thread protrudes to hook on the earthing loop and add a washer and M8 nut. I needed to file the earthing loop slightly so that it was large enough to slip over the bolt. This pic shows the earthing loop secured.

I wanted to take a live feed direct from the battery, but the grommets between engine bay and interior are almost impossible to breach, so ran a 17amp wire behind the edge of carpet across both footwells and into the fusebox in the passenger footwell. Used an Add-a-Circuit (mini LP) and piggybacked off fuse 5 (perm live 20amp), adding a 10amp fuse for the new circuit which matched that supplied.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me, johnjohanaphy

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2019 18:00 #209817 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5
Nice job

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jun 2019 18:16 #209820 by Lambert
That's neat.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2019 03:31 #209834 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5
Your thread gets better all the time.

Great idea and jicely executed

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2019 13:24 #209850 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5
You are doing some amazing stuff Gadget - many things I'll never get round to myself, but just knowing it can be done is reassuring.

I'm left with a "warm feeling", and I haven't said that for a long time!

More
12 Jun 2019 18:53 #209900 by Gadget
Thanks for the kind words, I can't seem to stop fiddling with it ("you'll go blind!"). It's less a mode of transport and more an expensive hobby :)

Latest goal is installing a CB radio, but I want to use a custom spare-wheel bracket aerial mount......which means I need to learn to weld first :laugh:

Machinemart.co.uk here I come! :whistle:

More
02 Jul 2019 19:59 #210520 by Gadget
I got distracted while saving for a MIG welder and bought myself a diff breather kit :)

The kit comes with 6mm ID tube, however the diff breather itself has a 14mm-ish nipple, so looks like garden-hose + reducer to connect the ARB hose. Spent a bit of time wondering how to get the spring loaded cover off.

Some advice on facebook and violence with pliers later, off it pops.

Fingers crossed the install should be straightforward, but will leave that till the weekend :)
Attachments:

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2019 19:15 #210862 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5

Gadget wrote: I got distracted while saving for a MIG welder and bought myself a diff breather kit :)

The kit comes with 6mm ID tube, however the diff breather itself has a 14mm-ish nipple, so looks like garden-hose + reducer to connect the ARB hose. Spent a bit of time wondering how to get the spring loaded cover off.

Some advice on facebook and violence with pliers later, off it pops.

Fingers crossed the install should be straightforward, but will leave that till the weekend :)

Just wondering if you have made any progress on the diff breathers mate.

Also.... ive been keeping a keen eye out for you cb install.

Do tell, do tell :) :) :)

More
17 Jul 2019 16:00 #211197 by Gadget
Finally got round to fitting the breather kit at the weekend, but not happy with how it's gone. My cunning plan of having a short piece of hosepipe clamped to the breather and using a 13mm to 6mm adapter to then connect to the ARB-supplied tubing sounded great in principle, but there's limited space available above both axles and kinked tubing has been a problem.

For the manifold I've seen others drill holes in the bulkhead and fix it with screws, but that didn't appeal, soI spent ages modifying a bracket to make use of an existing hole in the corner of the engine bay. Was fairly chuffed with myself until I spotted that Soeley had simply cable tied his in place, duh, why didn't I think of that! :pinch:

I'm going to redo the fittings this weekend and taking another of Soeley's ideas, I've cut down the 13mm to 6mm adapters, then drilled and tapped them to accept 1/8" BSP to 8mm push fittings. That should hopefully avoid fouling on anything above the axles.

I've also bought some new tubing as the ARB stuff kinked far to easily for my liking. Still 8mm OD, but .5mm thicker sidewall and red for added bling points.

So pics of my faffing to date below, install attempt #2 due this weekend!

DIY bracket thing:

Lets me mount the manifold here:

Time to make 2 become 1 #spiceupyourlife:

Chop off the pointy bit:

Shorten the fat end:

Drill a new hole:

Tap hole:

Nice short fitting:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy, Soeley, Andy2640

More
02 Aug 2019 14:06 #211734 by Gadget
www.nakatanenga.de/en/optional-equipment...or-trim-system?c=362

My MOLLE Tailgate organiser from Nakatenenga arrived today and seems good so far. It came with four pouches (a tear-off first aid pouch should have been included but was missing - the company responded to my email quickly and will be sending the forgotten item separately).

The panel itself is nylon with laser-cut MOLLE compatible webbing slots. The use of MOLLE means that there's a vast array of military/tactical/airsoft/paintball pouches and gizmos that can be weaved onto the panel, you're not limited to the supplied pouches.

The panel attaches to the rear door trim via 8 hexbolts, so you'll need to remove the panel and drill some holes. They supply a good quality bunch of fittings. 12 dome head hexbolts with large face washers, smaller backing washers and nylock nuts. The bolts go through metal eyelets in the panel.

The pouches supplied are:

1 x zippered pouch, approx 250x170mm with elasticated loops inside. I'll probably use this for tools.

1 x multicompartment pouch. Has a small concertina section (approx 120x100mm) with velcro closure pocket on front. At each side are effectively gun mag pouches, with velcro retaining straps. At the back is a flat velcro sealed pocket about the size of a passport. Not sure what I'm going to do with this one.

1 x open dump pouch. Has small side pockets for narrow items and a velcro sealed front pocket. Main pocket is approx 210 deep by 140 diameter. I'll probably leave this empty and use for wine bottle storage after a trip to the shops!

1 x clip & velcro sealed pouch approx 200x210mm. Single compartment which can be shrunk by use of elastic shock cord.

If you've worked with MOLLE/PALS type webbing before, you'll know it can be a faff to weave pouches onto the panel, but the straps on these pouches seem better than most, with reinforced ends which slot through easily and can be folded back when complete to hide the loose ends.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds