BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
20 Mar 2019 17:56 #204853 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5

GeorgeC wrote: I see your wiper switch photo, I'm puzzled, we have the Lights/Turn Indicators on the right down here!

I would be interested to know if thats the case with the older model Jimny where you are?

Mine is like Gadgets, but 2007. I find this very annoying as my usual work vehicle (renault van) is opposite to the jimny. This results in me indicating with the wipers in both vehicles a lot :laugh:

Would be really handy to swap the Jimny around to match the van (and almost every other vehicle on the road)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Mar 2019 18:27 #204855 by Lambert
Indicators on the right are the safer way round though. It means that can still use them even when you take your left hand and change gear. The European way round only works with left hand drive cars for the same reason. Our grand vitara is the wrong European way round too.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Mar 2019 19:35 #204858 by Gadget
I can't remember the last time I had a car with indicators on the right, certainly nothing this century - had VWs, Fords, Skodas and Vauxhalls and all had indicators on the left.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Mar 2019 05:43 - 21 Mar 2019 05:45 #204868 by Lambert
Because all those vehicles are conversions of left hand drive market models. Ok they are manufactured right hand drive but they are simply using left hand drive components on the opposite side to how they were designed because of cost..just because almost every other vehicle is the same doesn't mean it's correct.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 21 Mar 2019 05:45 by Lambert.

More
21 Mar 2019 12:45 #204891 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5

Lambert wrote: Because all those vehicles are conversions of left hand drive market models. Ok they are manufactured right hand drive but they are simply using left hand drive components on the opposite side to how they were designed because of cost..just because almost every other vehicle is the same doesn't mean it's correct.

It certainly doesn't appear to be a cost issue. South African ones have the indicator stalk on the right.

More
25 Mar 2019 22:11 - 25 Mar 2019 22:13 #205060 by Hanslow
Hi Gadget,

How well do your replacement DRL bulbs sit in their housing? I did mine at the weekend which required much fiddling with trying to get them to lock into place. I checked on them today having parked up at work and noticed that they are both pointing slightly towards the drivers side and don't look completely flush in the housing.

I'm pretty sure they're locked in place, took me ages to get them to slot in properly but seemed fine at the time, although my hands were starting to go a bit numb in the cold so I was quite glad to get them locked in and didn't do much post fit wiggling to check play or anything. They're functioning fine and you can't tell when they're on, just when they're off.

I've a niggle in the back of my mind that wonders if they truly are fitted correctly so interested to get some feedback on how yours look.

Didn't help that I couldn't get a good look into the housing whilst fitting them but had to go purely on feel from the interior side but could at least see through the lens on the bulb side.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2019 22:13 by Hanslow.

More
26 Mar 2019 18:21 #205104 by Gadget
@Hanslow, mine went in without any bother and look like this:

Attachments:

More
26 Mar 2019 18:44 #205105 by Hanslow
Thanks, yours look a lot better than mine. Looks like I'll be out again at the weekend and might take the wheel arch liner out fully so I can get a good proper look in there.

More
29 Mar 2019 16:29 - 29 Mar 2019 16:29 #205250 by Hanslow
I've given up with them for now and reverted back to halogens. Mine had only one of the lugs in properly so it was lucky they hadn't fallen out completely. Despite an hour of faffing around at lunch today they still wouldn't fit properly. The bevelled edge at the base of the LEDs looks to be fouling on the surrounding housing and not allowing all the lugs to move behind where they slide. They're both scuffed on that bevel at the top edge.

My next option is to take the whole lens unit out and have a go at fitting them where I can better see what I'm doing. I'd got a lit mirror in there so I know I was putting the right lugs in the right place but I just couldn't get it so it would turn smoothly. In contrast, the halogen bulbs went in and turned with next to no effort at all.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2019 16:29 by Hanslow.

• mikeyw85
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2019 07:20 - 30 Mar 2019 07:23 #205281 by mikeyw85
Replied by mikeyw85 on topic Gadget's 2019 hearing aid SZ5
I think lot's of the LED ones are too wide to fit. The hole in chrome reflector housing is too small for them to go all the way in.

On attached image... left one should fit, right one too wide. look almost identical, but i think the bottom of the chrome bit is too wide on right one. it's fractions but seems to make a difference.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2019 07:23 by mikeyw85.

More
30 Mar 2019 11:30 - 30 Mar 2019 11:31 #205292 by Hanslow
Thanks mikey and apologies gadget for the slight thread derailment. I might need to hang up my spanners if I can't handle fitment of two bulbs :(

I've attached a pic of the ones I have. I don't know if you can see, but on the leading edge of the angled silver bit, just above the recess, there's a scuff where it's been catching on something. That could be my hamfistedness, but using an inspection mirror I made sure the lugs were correctly lined up so expected to be able to just push and turn but it won't seemingly fully push in all the way. Is there a knack to approaching it in at an angle and then straightening up?

I managed to fit the halogens back without issue so I'm not a complete imbecile :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2019 11:31 by Hanslow. Reason: Added attachment, I am a complete imbecile

More
30 Mar 2019 13:11 - 30 Mar 2019 13:11 #205295 by Hanslow
They're in :) After much toing and froing and thinking "Surely this can't be right", I filed down the tapered overhang such that the initial vertical metal that meets with the plastic housing is now more of a straight cylinder up to the taper and the taper from the actual edge without any lip (you can still see the lip in the pics).

I've no idea why mine weren't straightforward like others, maybe just manufacturing tolerances, but at least they're in now :) I'd say about 0.5mm came off all round, maybe a bit less, so not much difference.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2019 13:11 by Hanslow.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds