BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2019 10:09 #204947 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

Soeley wrote: So I have just picked up the Jimny from having the full Dinitrol Underseal treatment. I dropped it off Tuesday evening and had a free courtesy car while it was in. The place I used is Rochdale Rust Proofing

Very friendly service and nice people to deal with, lots of pictures provided as well.

Pictures

Thanks Soeley. I'm proposing to have my Jimny 'Dinitrol-ed' - primarily because there is a well-rated place near me (and I'd make a right-old mess doing it myself!). Can you let us know in due course how long the Dinitrol smell persists?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2019 17:31 #204958 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

Guy 2 wrote:

Soeley wrote: So I have just picked up the Jimny from having the full Dinitrol Underseal treatment. I dropped it off Tuesday evening and had a free courtesy car while it was in. The place I used is Rochdale Rust Proofing

Very friendly service and nice people to deal with, lots of pictures provided as well.

Pictures

Thanks Soeley. I'm proposing to have my Jimny 'Dinitrol-ed' - primarily because there is a well-rated place near me (and I'd make a right-old mess doing it myself!). Can you let us know in due course how long the Dinitrol smell persists?

It smelled a bit yesterday on the first run when the exhaust got hot. But today I didn't notice any smell, not even when I went in the garage this morning. Pity as I liked the smell of it :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2019 18:20 #204962 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Thanks Soeley - that's really helpful.

It's probably a good thing that the smell's gone away - we don't want you going down the road of solvent abuse!!

More
23 Mar 2019 19:20 #204966 by Soeley
If parked on a slope the strut is not strong enough to hold the door open. Automatic rear door stay made from 25mm plastic pipe, cut at one end to clip onto the ball mount the gas strut is fastened to.

I had seen ones you can buy but they are to put on and remove as required. This stays on even with the door closed. (Sorry for poor video).

Video
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2019 12:12 #204997 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Hi how much did it cost to get done if you don’t mind me asking thank you dawn

More
24 Mar 2019 12:24 #204999 by Soeley
It is not cheap, £650 +VAT, but having said that I hope it is a worthwhile investment. If I keep the car 10 years which I do intend on this being a keeper it works out at just under £80 a year. Plus it will hopefully fend of any rust repairs for a long time.

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2019 12:25 #205000 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Hi that’s not bad thank you

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2019 19:34 #206366 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

Soeley wrote: Well got one job done today, I have 2ch BlackVue dash cam so needed to get the rear camera fitted. It connects to the front camera via a cable. Front and rear interior lights removed and the use of mouse enabled me to pull the cable from front to back. I had to remove the headlining trim clips and rear grab handles to allow the headlining to drop enough to manage.

As a side note the Handbook shows an internal release for the rear door (might see if one is available on the net) on the trim panel you can see there is a knock out for fitting the release.

Once the cable was pulled through to the back, I managed to feed it down inside the C post and pull it through the wiring gaiter hole in the rear door frame, through the actual gaiter and into the door cavity. Using some stiff wire with bent hook on the end the cable was pulled through and out next to the wiper motor bracket.

I realised if I trimmed down the connector it would fit through the heated rear window wire hole.

The camera cable runs up along with heated rear window wire, and then fits just nicley in the gap between the window frame and the rear glass, up and around to the camera.

Minimal cable on show, how I like it. Next job is to hard wire the actual camera so it is not kept plugged into the front power socket.

Soeley,

Do you ever use the live view function on your 2ch Blackveu?

More
19 Apr 2019 20:40 #206374 by Soeley
Do you mean as a rear view camera?

That would have been ideal, but no. Although the camera has its own WiFi my phone (Nokia 8) never seems to remember it. So every time time I want to use the WiFi and the phone App I have to forget the network and re-add it, so I don;t use the App that often. I am just presuming it is my phone?

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2019 20:53 - 19 Apr 2019 21:00 #206377 by Andy2640
Well, ive been looking into these blackveu's, as they are clearly the market leaders.

the DR750S 2CH (front and rear) have a cloud service, where you can view your cams live when away from the car. But this requires a MIFI device (or a portable wifi in car). Its crazy! As it detects motion or knocks bumps and alerts you to this instantly via you app even when miles away from your vehicle. (sorry if you already know all this).

If you have the the other model, I believe it still allows you to view your cams live in the car via wifi over your mobile. But ou have to be in the car to view them.

Sorry for too many questions, but is yours hard wired or do you run it direct off your ciggy lighter socket?

Your fitting instructions... and where to run wires etc.. is a massive help, as halfords would be doing it for the very first time.

EDIT: There is some great videos online, explaining common problems with wifi connections. Im sure you'll be able to sort that. Hope so anyways :-)
Cheers.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2019 21:00 by Andy2640.

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2019 10:52 #206403 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Important thing to remember with the BlackVue models - the various cloud functions are limited unless you cough up for a subscription. For example, you can only view so many minutes of remote video in a day and can (or at least could) only register one camera per cloud account.

Last BlackVue I reviewed was the 650, and it had the worst night-time performance of any camera I've used. Hopefully that's improved since.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2019 11:04 - 20 Apr 2019 11:06 #206404 by Andy2640

AlexK wrote: Important thing to remember with the BlackVue models - the various cloud functions are limited unless you cough up for a subscription. For example, you can only view so many minutes of remote video in a day and can (or at least could) only register one camera per cloud account.

Last BlackVue I reviewed was the 650, and it had the worst night-time performance of any camera I've used. Hopefully that's improved since.

Yes, the dr750s ch2, has addressed these issues. Now uses an advanced sony unit, very good at night. Live view is free, but allows only 10 mins of live viewing per day. Its adequate if you just want notification of any dodgy activity via the cloud to your phone. Good if your in the office, or in town. 10 mins will perform this task very well. So no need for a subscription via Blackveu for me. Monitors both front and rear cams. 60FPS in the front, 30 FPS at rear

The MIFI (Mobile wifi) that goes in the car, requires only a 2GB plan to operate the live 10 mins a day.

MIFI deals are as little as £9 a month. So its not mega expensive, but the whole set-up is, and I'm wondering if its overkill.

£335 (DR750s 2ch inc...64GB memory card) - Front and rear cams. (AMAZON)
£35-50 quid) if fitted independently.
£35.00 - Magic pro (Battery limiter and must needed item for a hard wire)
£9 P/M - MIFI device - via Vodafone

Is it worth it?
Last edit: 20 Apr 2019 11:06 by Andy2640.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds