BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

More
01 Jan 2023 19:05 #246624 by Roger Fairclough
Intrigued by the brackets on the front corners of the bonnet, Pray tell what is there purpose?

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2023 20:19 #246626 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

Intrigued by the brackets on the front corners of the bonnet, Pray tell what is there purpose?

Roger
Brush wires, the other end fastens to my awning rails when they are on the roof bars.

More
02 Jan 2023 14:36 #246636 by Roger Fairclough
Ah, yes, the light has dawned. I thought that might be the case but the lack of connectors on the windscreen corners threw me a curved ball.

Cheers.

Roger

More
05 Jan 2023 16:25 #246686 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

I finally got around to fitting my Bravo Snorkel today.
It is pretty straight forward and easy, just a bit fiddly in parts (namely the scuttle end panel removal). 
Bonnet definitely needs to come off, although I manged that on my own 
The two holes I had to drill for the riv-nuts, I sprayed with Zinc primer then a topcoat.  Couldn't find my heat gun to aid drying so I borrowed the wife's Dyson hair dryer 

The levitating bonnet trick worked out quite well. I drew around the hinges with a fine pencil to aide refitting.

This is the bracket that has to be cut off, it does nothing, there is another on the left side that also does nothing?

Shush!

Two riv-nut holes prep'd

This bracket has to bent down out of the way, the top coat just flaked off, not sure if the primer came with it so give it a quick touch up.

I also marked the wiper arms and spindles, to ease refitting. 

View from the drivers seat. Can hardly tell it's there.

Looking good.

How are you finding the snorkel? Does yours produce the same harmonic noise and vibration through the pedals?

More
05 Jan 2023 17:20 #246687 by Roger Fairclough
In this months 4x4 mag. there is an article about a LandCruiser that was modified to be a support truck for a desert rally team. One of the trucks fittings was a snorkel that has the head fitted facing south. Now this may be because it would potentially absorb a lot of sand or maybe because it was found to reduce harmonic effects. Its worth checking out as it would be a simple mod. easily reversible ( scuse. the pun ).

Roger

More
05 Jan 2023 19:45 #246700 by Soeley

I finally got around to fitting my Bravo Snorkel today.
It is pretty straight forward and easy, just a bit fiddly in parts (namely the scuttle end panel removal). 
Bonnet definitely needs to come off, although I manged that on my own 
The two holes I had to drill for the riv-nuts, I sprayed with Zinc primer then a topcoat.  Couldn't find my heat gun to aid drying so I borrowed the wife's Dyson hair dryer 

Looking good.

How are you finding the snorkel? Does yours produce the same harmonic noise and vibration through the pedals?

It is producing the noise, but I haven't really driven it much since fitting, so need to see if I can replicate it at the same revs/speed every time, before looking into it further. 

More
05 Jan 2023 19:50 - 05 Jan 2023 19:51 #246701 by Soeley

Roger
Brush wires, the other end fastens to my awning rails when they are on the roof bars.
Took her in for MOT and Service today, she's4 years old on the 15th.
They have removed the Brush Wire brackets at the health check before the MOT to stop it failing as the were classing them as sharp objects protruding. Which I don't mind, rather they did that than fail it for me to take home to removed them.

Suffice to say she passed without any advisories.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2023 19:51 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
05 Jan 2023 19:58 #246703 by Roger Fairclough
The object of the "protruding sharp objects" is basically to protect passers by from being injured by objects on the car protruding sideways. Technically they protruded upwards. Anyway, how about door or wing mounted mirrors?

Roger

PS What the heck, it passed ! Mine goes in for its first next month.

More
05 Jan 2023 20:58 #246707 by Soeley
I suppose it is all down to the interpretation of the individual examiner?

But a pass is a pass like you say.

More
05 Feb 2023 16:27 #247371 by Soeley
Well I have finally succumbed to the Roof Top Tent brigade. It is a light weight inflatable RTT, designed for vans. It weighs 16.4kg and the ladder 7.2kg. It is designed to go inside the car/van when driving, so no high up weight to effect the CoG.

It comes with an inflatable mattress that stays inside when rolled up.

Wind tunnel tested at up to 60km/h winds.

To make it fit the Jimny, I'm using 4 roof bars with 2 decking boards on the outside for the airbeams to sit on. Might look for an alternative to decking when I have tested it out in the wild.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
05 Feb 2023 18:08 #247377 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Haha this looks like a clever solution to the weight issue :)

Is just the two boards all you need as a base? the rest is the tent?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
05 Feb 2023 18:14 - 05 Feb 2023 18:17 #247379 by Soeley
Yes, just two boards. It has an airbeam down each side the slats sit on, the tent underneath is hollow.

This is all it sits on.

Might compress a bit with two people in, those are 150 mm wide deck boards.  I could go narrower now i know how it sits.

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2023 18:17 by Soeley.

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds