BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

More
08 Aug 2020 15:50 #226360 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Their had been discussion of fire extinguishers on the FB group, i had been thinking of getting one for in the Jimny, but this spurred me on. I believe it should be accessible from the drivers seat for worst case scenario purposes.

I opted for This Ally bottle extinguisher

I had seen ONE OF THESE but thought it looked too close to the feet. So adapted the idea to have the extinguisher sat on top of the crossmember.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2020 16:06 #226361 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Good idea Soeley, looks very neat and powder is the wise option. Be aware that in the event of a frontal impact it might not be as accessible as you hoped. Fires are rare (thank goodness) and more commonly triggered by impact. Between the seats or above the seatbelt mount on the B pillar tend to remain accessible should you be pinned in your seat. Your local Fire Brigade will be only too pleased to offer advice.
Chris

More
08 Aug 2020 16:23 #226362 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Great idea, think I might relocate mine to the same spot and free up some room in the rear luggage box.

More
08 Aug 2020 16:27 #226363 by Soeley
Thanks CC Baxter. No room between the seats really and not sure about a place on the B pillar, whether their is room or somewhere secure enough to fasten to. Don't want a missile above my head. I will look at it though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CC Baxter, lookonimages

More
08 Aug 2020 17:45 #226364 by lookonimages

Soeley wrote: Thanks CC Baxter. No room between the seats really and not sure about a place on the B pillar, whether their is room or somewhere secure enough to fasten to. Don't want a missile above my head. I will look at it though.

+1 on the missile above head. I am putting mine behind passenger seat on floor. Fastened with proper steel bracket to seat bolts.

In my case we are only 2. Back seats are out so I am not carrying passengers.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2020 18:05 #226365 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Lack of space Soeley, I fully understand the problem as Jimnys are small. Sadly just carrying an extinguisher is only half the story. Finding a readily accessible mounting can be very difficult. Your point about a missile above your head is valid but a better design of mounting cup as found on marine extinguishers overcomes that concern.
To further muddy the waters have you considered fitting a "Life Hammer" as endorsed by Fire and Police services? That's another item that calls for considered mounting. Chris

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2020 19:16 #226369 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Mark, the extinguisher looks like a CO2/Dry Powder, please correct me if I'm wrong? I am use to seeing BCF Extinguishers in cars down here in Aus. Can you give some background info for the choice please?

More
08 Aug 2020 19:18 #226370 by Soeley
Yes, I do have one but it is in the kitchen as it doesn't have a bracket. I have been looking at them, but soo many to chose from.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

More
09 Aug 2020 10:06 #226388 by Soeley
I only found this video after I made my bracket, but it shows what I was concerned about. It puts the extinguisher too close to your feet for my liking.

Attachments:

More
10 Aug 2020 12:29 - 10 Aug 2020 12:30 #226455 by Max Headroom
THESE are ideal for our small cars; easy to tuck away,
They run for way longer than a conventional fire extinguisher too.

I think the original concept was for use on the International Space Station.

Another explanation here

We've got one in the kitchen too

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 10 Aug 2020 12:30 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
10 Aug 2020 13:09 - 10 Aug 2020 13:09 #226456 by Soeley
Now you have mentioned them, I had seen those a good while ago and totally forgotten about them :blush:
Last edit: 10 Aug 2020 13:09 by Soeley.

More
11 Aug 2020 19:53 #226534 by Soeley
Extra storage organisation. I bought this on Sunday and it was delivered today.

The quality seems very good, better than I was expecting for the money. The middle big pocket has a zip, so it's not going g to sag open. The top pocket has velcro fastening.

The 4 pouches that came with it seem equally as good in quality.

The Medical pouch i have filled with the First Aid kit I had in the glove box. It has a quick ripp-off backing on it so no need to undo the snap fasteners in a rush.

The Drawstring bag, I might use as a bin for when camping.

The Admin pouch, not sure what i will put in there yet.

The water bottle holder, I had been looking at similar, on there own are about £10. I will use this on the grab rail.

Some off these Molle seat organisers are £10 to £15 without any pouches. So this is excellent VFM.

Molle Seat Organiser

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds