BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Just purchased my first Jimny

More
29 Dec 2018 23:01 #199689 by Max Headroom

Daz3031 wrote:
The technical term for the noise is Helmholtz resonance - I wrote my masters thesis on that very subject!

Cheers Daz!

I have never heard that (correct) term before but have found some interesting reading material on the subject.
I remember a friend's father, whom had been brought up in a very aristocratic family and had owned a 1930s Rover (when Rovers were on par with Rolls Royce) that did this very badly when the when a window was opened, and it was he that had coined the phrase 'panting' to me. Ever since then I only knew it as that.

As an aircraft engineer I find anything to do with aerodynamics very interesting, so look forward to reading a little more about Helmholtz resonance.

Thanks!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daz3031
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2018 18:00 #199729 by Daz3031
Replied by Daz3031 on topic Just purchased my first Jimny

Max Headroom wrote:

Daz3031 wrote:
The technical term for the noise is Helmholtz resonance - I wrote my masters thesis on that very subject!

Cheers Daz!

I have never heard that (correct) term before but have found some interesting reading material on the subject.
I remember a friend's father, whom had been brought up in a very aristocratic family and had owned a 1930s Rover (when Rovers were on par with Rolls Royce) that did this very badly when the when a window was opened, and it was he that had coined the phrase 'panting' to me. Ever since then I only knew it as that.

As an aircraft engineer I find anything to do with aerodynamics very interesting, so look forward to reading a little more about Helmholtz resonance.

Thanks!

No worries. If you're ever struggling to sleep I could dig a copy of my thesis out for you to read!

More
31 Dec 2018 10:05 - 31 Dec 2018 16:17 #199760 by adrianr
Ordered Suzuki Jimny Front Axle Kingpin Swivel Joint Kit from Jimnybits so i can get the front hubs all sorted.

For now, I have decided to do this mod to have 4wd available, using lots of grease to catch any swarf. I will maybe get some manual free wheeling hubs later in the year.

Last edit: 31 Dec 2018 16:17 by adrianr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

More
31 Dec 2018 10:39 #199765 by adrianr
Fitted Heko wind deflectors

More
31 Dec 2018 13:55 #199778 by adrianr
Replaced the 2 aux belts, the one for the power steering was really showing its age.

Attachments:

More
02 Jan 2019 17:40 - 02 Jan 2019 21:16 #199906 by adrianr
Extended diff breathers - they now terminate inside the top of the snorkel. The breather on the top of the transfer case is tricky.

Replaced oils in front and back axles, transfer case and gearbox.

Went to fit my new all terrains - however, the 8.5 inch alloys on it now are too wide for the 195 all terrains. So I'll look for a set of steelies or alloys.

Did the bolt through the bub mod so now we have 4wd. Did a quick 10 mile run in 2wd - feels to drive no differently than if the front hubs were freewheeling.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2019 21:16 by adrianr.

More
04 Jan 2019 14:53 - 04 Jan 2019 17:23 #200005 by adrianr
4 hours to do the front swivel bearings, inner axle oil seals, and rear wiper seals thingys. Used the blue waterproof grease. The wobble is now pretty much all gone.

I need to sort out the slide pins on the front callipers, seals are rotten and 2 were stuck. Freed them off, for now. 2 new disks wouldn’t go amiss in the near future.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2019 17:23 by adrianr.

More
04 Jan 2019 22:25 #200035 by adrianr
Pleased to report that the car now goes pretty much where it is pointed. Steering was so vague before. Improved after the tie rod end was replaced and improved much more with new swivel bearings both sides.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jan 2019 08:01 #200038 by Lambert
When they're right Jimny's are actually quite responsive to drive and being light they change direction easily, it's just unfortunate that they're so sensitive to components wearing out.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: adrianr

More
05 Jan 2019 21:50 - 06 Jan 2019 09:00 #200073 by adrianr
Took my first trip on some lanes near Betws Y Coed today. Very impressed with how the car performed so far. The hand throttle worked really well.

The suspension will need some work though. My 2-inch lift has extender brackets on the bottom of the shocks to make them longer and thick plastic blocks to lengthen the springs. So standard suspension made to look longer. Also, there was some odd clicking when doing the steeper descents, and articulating on the rocky bits. Sounded like a drop link failing on a car. Nothing obviously broken, however, taking a look around when I was doing the front swivels the other day the bushes in the radius arms look tired and perished, the drop links look well past their best. I stayed off the more technical lanes for the rest of the day to avoid any possible worsening. Did not notice it when on the road home.

I think an upgrade to a 2inch Trailmster comfort set of shocks and springs or possible Old Manu Emu (which I had on my Landcruiser and was very good) and refresh all the bushes would really help the car handle better on and off road. it was pretty crashy on the rougher sections.

I am looking forward to getting some new wheels so I can fit the 195/80 15 AT's to replace the Insa Turbos that are just too noisy. They do handle really well off road though but are vague on the road. The car is pretty heavy on fuel with such big heavy wheels and tyres.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2019 09:00 by adrianr.

More
08 Jan 2019 07:30 - 08 Jan 2019 07:39 #200159 by kirkynut
Wow, you don't mess about!

The tyres and lack of balancing (you can't truly balance these with weights) are likely to be what is causing your slight remaining wheel wobble.

If you get some standard steelies, how about painting them Old English White to contrast with the green? It's an idea I've had in my mind for a Jimny for a while where if I was to get another Jimny it would have to be green for me to do this. I just think it would be a good look.

I would go for the Trailmaster kit. The lifting blocks and shock extenders are just using your tired old components. New bushes will make a difference too.

Use the BigJimny Shop for parts. It's often cheaper, you know the parts are right and will fit and it helps fund the forum to keep it running.

Would you like me to move this thread to the "My Jimny" section, as it's becoming a proper thread?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 08 Jan 2019 07:39 by kirkynut.

More
08 Jan 2019 08:25 - 08 Jan 2019 08:26 #200161 by adrianr
Hi Kirkynut

Thank you. I want the truck to be right so I can relax and trust it and enjoy it properly. Regular maintenance is easy after that. There are still a few things to tidy up where previous owner(s) have done quick rather than correct fixes/repairs/mods.

Yes, please move it to My Jimny section.

I agree Old English White wheels would look good. I'm watching a nice set of 5 matching alloys that end today. If I don't land those then steelies will be my next port of call and some white paint.

Once the new wheels and ATs are on I plan on selling the 8.5J alloys, and the Insa Turbos separately. I have already pre-sold the tyres that are on the alloys I am bidding on, in case I win them.

I cancelled my order with JimnyBits and ordered the swivel kit from the forum last week, and will buy through the forum when I can.

I agree about TrailMaster for the suspension, they also do caster correction bushes and am looking forward to getting the kit and installing it. I might in this instance order the suspension through my best mate who owns a 4x4 garage locally and is also a distributor for Trailmaster. It was his recommendation that put me onto the Jimny in the first place.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2019 08:26 by adrianr.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds