BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza

More
28 Mar 2018 11:47 #190963 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza
Cleaner and with all season tires on. A bit early as the water froze on the ground while I was cleaning, but I can park it if it gets too icy on the roads.

Sent fra min E5823 via Tapatalk

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2018 19:09 - 07 Apr 2018 20:54 #191417 by yakuza
And then the R72 Gearbox failed today..
Gearbox has had a slight hiss for a while, got louder yesterday and 15km later it made a very ugly noise and I could feel it ripple through the driveline. pressed the clutch in immediately and i could drive it very carefully int my garage after wife had towed me back home. Not sure if it was just a bearing breakdown or a full-on gears crash inside.

Next step:
1. If it was just a bearing failure i might change the bearings. also change the ratio in the transfer case while it is out.

2. If the r72 is dead i would like to change the gearbox to R7me wich can be bought for cheaps. I do not see the point in installing the 1.3/2.1 lever-transfer case, it would make the crawl ratio worse compared to R72/push-button transfer...
As i have a rocklobster on my shelf, and have the bits for one more, I think i'd just go Rocklobster..
I will have to do something to the difffs though as i do not want to go 31" yet.

Does anybody know if i can use my samurai/SJ rings and pinions in the front diff?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2018 20:54 by yakuza.

More
07 Apr 2018 21:06 #191426 by yakuza

yakuza wrote: Does anybody know if i can use my samurai/SJ rings and pinions in the front diff?

not in the front diff it seems.....

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2018 21:15 - 07 Apr 2018 21:17 #191428 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic The Jimny of the Yakuza
Noo :( Bad luck!

I`ve done alot of calculation on ratios, and found the rocklobster to be too low on high gears to use on 29"`s and available diffs (3.9 and 4.3).
And together with the R7ME it gives you a bit high lowrange also. Stronger gear vs chain though ofcourse.
To bad the diesel diffs are hard to find.

I chose the trail gears for my push button transfer which should be within a rpm i can live with , + very good low range.
Even with 3.9 diffs i would have just as low low-range as a rocklobster together with R7me running and 4.3`s.
(but i`m going to stay on 4.3`s)

Love this page for quick ratio comparisons, but i guess you have better programs on youre computer as you work with gearboxes ;)
www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Last edit: 07 Apr 2018 21:17 by OlaGB.

More
07 Apr 2018 21:42 #191437 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic The Jimny of the Yakuza

OlaGB wrote: Noo :( Bad luck!
I`ve done alot of calculation on ratios, and found the rocklobster to be too low on high gears to use on 29"`s and available diffs (3.9 and 4.3).
And together with the R7ME it gives you a bit high lowrange also. Stronger gear vs chain though ofcourse.
To bad the diesel diffs are hard to find.

I came to the same conclusion more or less

OlaGB wrote: I chose the trail gears for my push button transfer which should be within a rpm i can live with , + very good low range.
Even with 3.9 diffs i would have just as low low-range as a rocklobster together with R7me running and 4.3`s.
(but i`m going to stay on 4.3`s)

Me too, but i consider to just install the low gears and keep the high range as is. would give 70% lower low range.

OlaGB wrote: Love this page for quick ratio comparisons, but i guess you have better programs on youre computer as you work with gearboxes ;)
www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

I use it all the time. not for work though, we only have one or two sets of gears in our gearboxes.

Guess i just have too see tomorrow how the gearbox looks inside, and decide what to do.
Could not find any used R72 gearboxes in Norway tonight on any of the choppers.
I would be trying to buy a 2010 or newer gearbox but couldn't find any.
Seen some on ebay wich the sellers claim to be reinforced.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2018 21:55 #191438 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic The Jimny of the Yakuza
I considered the same, running without changing high gears, but that will make me run alot more in 3rd and 4th gears, instead of in 1:1 5th gear.
Better or worse for the bearings? I would think worse..
On 29`s i think i will be only 200rpm higher @ 100km/h on my planned ratio, than on stock wheels/transmission. Probably just better off like that, since the wheels are heavy..

Had a look for R72 on bildelsbasen as well now, as i found my motor over in sweden through that page.. But none to be found, and even the R7me was kind of expensive over there.

Good luck diving into the box, it was pretty easy to split / rebuild :)

More
08 Apr 2018 16:24 #191450 by yakuza
So it's a write off.. See the missing tooth. And I need a strike of luck to find a new one in Norway. Sold less than 20 a year since 2010 I've heard.

More
08 Apr 2018 16:29 #191451 by yakuza

OlaGB wrote: I considered the same, running without changing high gears, but that will make me run alot more in 3rd and 4th gears, instead of in 1:1 5th gear.
Better or worse for the bearings? I would think worse..
On 29`s i think i will be only 200rpm higher @ 100km/h on my planned ratio, than on stock wheels/transmission. Probably just better off like that, since the wheels are heavy..

Had a look for R72 on bildelsbasen as well now, as i found my motor over in sweden through that page.. But none to be found, and even the R7me was kind of expensive over there.

Good luck diving into the box, it was pretty easy to split / rebuild :)

Agreed that it would be better for the r72 gearbox to gear down a bit.. I will dive into the grimjeeper calculator again tonight and try to make sense of the r7me swap and 235's.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Apr 2018 16:36 - 08 Apr 2018 16:37 #191452 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza
Baah thats not good news.. :(

Maybe the gear parts you need to rebuild, isnt all that expensive though.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2018 16:37 by OlaGB.

More
08 Apr 2018 17:12 #191453 by yakuza
could be but that is a last resort for me... If i get hold of a low milage 2010 or newer gearbox somewhere it would still be better and probably cost the same.

I did not bother to open anymore to see if there was more damage. kind of fed up today..

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Apr 2018 17:43 #191455 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza
I feel your pain :( just changed mine

More
08 Apr 2018 20:33 #191463 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza
This is horrible for you. I'm so sorry to hear the damage is so bad. You're right to look for another box, new gears in that box will whine when run with old worn gears due to the wear pattern on the old gears.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds