BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rally-raid Jimny (G'Luck Racing)

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2014 23:38 - 05 May 2014 23:46 #114293 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Rally-raid Jimny (G'Luck Racing)

Jimny_Aus wrote: anyone know what shocks these are?? they look like Bilstein 5156's......

You mean Bilstein 5165's right? :)

On the IFS Jimny? They're King coilovers.
Last edit: 05 May 2014 23:46 by TomDK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jimny_Aus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2014 00:16 #114349 by Jimny_Aus
Replied by Jimny_Aus on topic Rally-raid Jimny (G'Luck Racing)
i should have put my glasses on hahahaha :blush:

• gluck3d
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2014 18:18 #114395 by gluck3d
Replied by gluck3d on topic Rally-raid Jimny (G'Luck Racing)
Video from one of the stages (it was 3 stages total with more then 300km of race distance total)

The worst problem was sliding on wet mud after the rain... Couldn't drive faster then 40km/h sometimes

• miktt100
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2014 16:57 #114493 by miktt100
Replied by miktt100 on topic Rally-raid Jimny (G'Luck Racing)
Cool vid , I wouldn't drive my j that fast on the road ;)
It would be good to have something like that in the uk , be a bit shorter tho

• gluck3d
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2014 07:09 #114918 by gluck3d
I bet there is something. Search for Cross-Country Rally, this is how it is called in UK if I am not mistaken. There should be some entry-level competitions.
Also in our case there was a special class called 'raid' with minimal requirements to enter - just helmet, extinguishers and racing license. They had to drive not as fast as they could, but to finish at pre-defined time. Both pre- and past-time finishes receive penalties (earlier finish receives double penalties). A good way to try this sport without spending much ;) Not sure if this class exists in UK though

• gluck3d
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2015 11:38 - 26 Jan 2015 11:39 #136045 by gluck3d
After I have unfortunately ended the season in July due to my father passing away, I've decided to prepare Jimny for winning next year (already this year now) and have started searching for racing suspension, engine etc.
Engine choice was quite simple - have bought quite fresh M18A, cause the procedure of its installation is well-known.
Regarding suspension - we have decided to use King Shocks, which are one of the leading US manufacturers for off-road competitions. We have thought it would be a bit cheaper then Ohlins (but it is not actually :) ).
After reaching one of the dealers (FilthyMotorsports) with our ideas (we wanted to keep the suspension quite similar to stock, but replacing shocks to racing set with external reservoirs and internal bump stop and appropriate springs), I've provided many details to the dealer Ben and he has proposed to use coilovers instead. This way we are also able to use external bump stops for more reliability.
Therefore the decision was done:
2.5" coilovers both in front and rear, 10" extension front and 8" rear. Double-rate springs package front, single rate rear.
Something like that:

Unfortunately it all took long time to order due to many reasons like me not knowing how to do this :) (also Christmas holidays took its toll) and we have ordered them only mid-January and I hope we will get them here in Moscow by the end of February.
Meanwhile we have time to prepare for coilovers installation (have photos of front part only yet):

There will be a strut between top points of this mountings above the engine.

Battery was moved behind the seats. Brake lines will be replaced with racing ones.
Also we need to make aluminium wall behind the seats and place at least 100L gas tank in the back.
Will post more photos when I have some :)

I hope this year I'll be able to stand on podium some times :)
Last edit: 26 Jan 2015 11:39 by gluck3d.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2015 12:07 #136046 by TomDK
Nice shocks :)

Good to see something different than the usual cheap Rough Country or Procomp suspension B)

How much did you have to pay for these coilovers ?
Are you doing the valving of the shocks yourself, or did Filthy Motorsports do that for you ?

Why go for 2.5 shocks, and not 2.0

Keep us updated :)

• gluck3d
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2015 12:13 - 26 Jan 2015 12:15 #136047 by gluck3d
Ben from Filthy is calculating the valving and it is done by Kings when making shocks. Ben has a reputation of making the shocks settings spot on from first try :) So I've just provided him with values, measurements and some photos videos of racing that I'll be participating in.

4 coilovers with 4 bumpstops costed $3775 US. Plus it will be about 650 for delivery and up to $1000 of customs fee (not sure exactly, this is the first time I'll be doing all this papers myself).
Pretty much money here, especially after ruble has become two time cheaper against the dollar :(

Luckily I'm not married and can spend my salary as I want too :)

P.S. Have chosen 2.5" just not to buy the cheapest solution, one of the rules I try to follow. Should be no overkill like going 3.0" or higher (and it would be hard to fit it), but still more reliable then 2.0".
Last edit: 26 Jan 2015 12:15 by gluck3d.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2015 12:21 #136048 by TomDK
That's quite a lot of money. But we all know that quality has it's price :) And King is one of the top brands :)

Too bad you so far away from Denmark. Would be great to see your Jimny IRL.. Perhaps you're doing the Breslau rally one day? :)

I can see your point with the 2.5's. Makes good sense :)

• the_goshawker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2015 14:22 #136055 by the_goshawker
Replied by the_goshawker on topic Rally-raid Jimny (G'Luck Racing)
I like, I like alot :)

• gluck3d
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2015 12:56 - 18 Feb 2015 12:57 #138298 by gluck3d
Finally have received my suspension, will try to get it installed next week (unfortunately my mechanics have left for the race with their primary drivers, winners of World Cup last year :) ).
Coilover next to where it will be installed:

Bump stop:

Luckily customs didn't take their fee, so I've saved about $1000 and the suspension became not so expensive :)
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 12:57 by gluck3d.

• gluck3d
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2015 19:18 #144039 by gluck3d

First race on new suspesnion/engine :)

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds