BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Expedition Jimny Project

• Decalwizard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jul 2013 20:49 #78289 by Decalwizard
Replied by Decalwizard on topic Expedition Jimny Project
Once you get bitten nicho you can stop feeding the habit :blush:

Just sent the drawings to MCB4x4 for the Rotopax fuel can rack to be made and powder coated, i made a drawing of the rack and photoshopped a picture so you can see where they go.

Going to get on this week fitting the 2" spring spacers and front and rear shock extensions i bought off Dalby..

Its coming together nicely now ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2013 08:48 #78312 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic Expedition Jimny Project
That's going to put a lot of weight on the rear door you sure the hinges are up to it?

• Decalwizard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2013 09:13 - 27 Jul 2013 09:30 #78313 by Decalwizard

JerseyJimny wrote: That's going to put a lot of weight on the rear door you sure the hinges are up to it?

Yeah shouldn't be a problem, the fuel tanks are only 1 US Gallon (3.8lts) not big 20ltr Jerrys. These cans are only:- 34 cms Tall x 25cms Wide x 8 cms Deep

If they can stick a 20ltr can and a 5kg gas bottle on the back door like the one below, I think I will be safe ;)

This was my other mounting option:-

Trouble is with this sort of thing its all trial and error, I didnt expect the arches to rub with the narrower tyres on. Even though i found the cars fulcrum point so I could displace the weight better, it still did not go to plan :whistle:

The Jim is not the best vehicle to mount things too, The square green oval thingy's have lots of flat panels to bolt anything to. I have seen the extents people have gone to just to mount a shovel, everything is a little hit and miss :laugh:

I have a good friend making some uprated springs for me as we speak, they are the same lengths as the originals just beefier, couple them with the spring spacers and shock spacers i got off Dalby and a few mad hours with the Air Saw I should overcome that problem..

The next project is to make a matching overland trailer using a jim back axle, the same alloys as on the car. This will house the 2 leisure batteries and all the weighty stuff to keep the bulk of it out of the car..

Dw
Last edit: 27 Jul 2013 09:30 by Decalwizard.

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2013 16:53 #78342 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic Expedition Jimny Project
The trailer is a good idea look into using a NATO hitch as they twist and are a lot more secure then normal hitches

• nicho
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jul 2013 08:56 - 28 Jul 2013 08:58 #78387 by nicho
Replied by nicho on topic Expedition Jimny Project
sumet else i thought of doing is this.
The next project is to make a matching overland trailer using a jim back axle, the same alloys as on the car. This will house the 2 leisure batteries and all the weighty stuff to keep the bulk of it out of the car..

i got a trailer tent that weighs 350kg n thought about putting a rear axle on it like this n matching wheels.

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jul 2013 08:58 by nicho.

• Decalwizard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jul 2013 09:49 #78393 by Decalwizard
That will be ace Nico if you can pull it off, I was thinking of an ex-trailer tent as a base to work off..

I agree with you JJ the Nato hitch is the best by far. I thought of a sankey trailer to use also.

DW

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jul 2013 12:51 #78414 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Expedition Jimny Project

Decalwizard wrote: I thought of a sankey trailer to use also.

theres a few cheap ones on ebay at the moment

• mudman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jul 2013 20:58 #78486 by mudman
Replied by mudman on topic Expedition Jimny Project
i thought about doing the very same thing before with the very same tent manly as my dad already has the tent :lol:

• mudman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jul 2013 13:42 #78595 by mudman
Replied by mudman on topic Expedition Jimny Project

Decalwizard wrote: That will be ace Nico if you can pull it off, I was thinking of an ex-trailer tent as a base to work off..

I agree with you JJ the Nato hitch is the best by far. I thought of a sankey trailer to use also.

DW

you could try making your own version of the ozhitch

• Decalwizard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jul 2013 17:09 #78612 by Decalwizard
Thats a clever looking hitch buddy, I think the UEV490 has the same hitch on it. I would love one of them puppies but not at $50,000

UEV-490 Camper Trailer

DW

• nicho
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jul 2013 17:31 - 30 Jul 2013 17:41 #78615 by nicho
Replied by nicho on topic Expedition Jimny Project
just a pic for ideas. :)

o n this on i thought about when someone were on about ur hinges might not be up to it.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Jul 2013 17:41 by nicho.

• Decalwizard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jul 2013 18:50 #78622 by Decalwizard
This is what got my attention, KAP Suzuki do these as a modification using the rascal pickup bed. I was thinking of the rear end of a Jimny with axle and using the same bed.

Dw

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds