BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Halfords Dog-Taxi

More
20 May 2013 18:27 #71171 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi
cheers, love it but now need to fit a steering damper as it feels more loose and barge-like :blink:

hope you was wereing goggles when grinding

:ohmy: quite right he should have been, Jackson-Tyre-Services going to get a H&S visit, that was very irresponsible, don't try this at home kiddies etc etc.
;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2013 14:18 - 24 May 2013 14:37 #71581 by Halford
My dead front wiper motor

[this is a more expansive re-post from the "Jimny Technical" section for future reference]

jumped in the truck and noticed the entire wiper stalk was dead (front/rear wipers and front/rear washers) - appears they all run through a single 15A fuse.

changed the fuse, but it blew straight away :pinch:

disconnected the front wiper motor, popped in a new fuse and the front washer together with rear wiper and washer worked OK, hence, problem located at front wiper motor.

checked wiper linkages hadn't seized and hence, fried the motor ..... silky smooth.

therefore pretty certain it was the front wiper motor at fault.

pulled the dead wiper motor out

checked out a local motor factor for some new fuses and to get a price for a motor - sorry mate you'll have to get one from suzuki, aftermarket ones have never been made (apparently this applies to some other Jimny bits, but not sure which).

contacted local suzuki stealers - OEM part from dealership = £222.75 + VAT = £267.30
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :ohmy: :unsure: :dry: :pinch:

quickly made a temporary wiper gizmo as soon got sick of stopping every 200m in the rain to jump out and hand-wipe the windscreen (was rubbish, simply smeared the screen) :blink:

decided to pull the wiper motor to bits to investigate ..

brushes weren't great, bit uneven wear but they looked functional

but what the ................
lovely nice black scorched contacts

cleaned it up

put it all back together without any bits left over, plugged it in and it still didn't work, :S

Ordered a replacement - big thank you to James (j999pre) for sending me a front wiper-motor from a 2002 Jimny, wasn't sure if it was going to fit my 2007 model .... heads up looks like JIMNY FRONT WIPER-MOTORS HAVEN'T CHANGED OVER THE LAST 15 YEARS .... wiper motor fitted and sorted

confession to being a Muppet .. :whistle:
after servicing my original motor, it does actually work now, so I need not have bought a replacement - it didn't work when I tried it because I hadn't earthed it ............ however, I now know that the ....
Jimny's electricals are -ve (ground) switched, having a permanent +12V "live feed" supply with the -ve (ground) wire connected when needed to complete the circuit (earth switched)

useful stuff

front wiper elec diag - PDF Download
wiper service manual - PDF Download

anyway all sorted now, thankfully didn't have to resort to this .....

;)
Last edit: 24 May 2013 14:37 by Halford.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2013 14:43 - 24 May 2013 14:45 #71587 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi
"put it all back together without any bits left over, plugged it in and it still didn't work, "

at this stage when i do it it usually goes bang! - as our dog knows after I cleaned the dog hair out of the hair dryer - he'd have given Mark cavendish a run for his money!!
Last edit: 24 May 2013 14:45 by darthloachie.

More
24 May 2013 15:09 - 24 May 2013 15:49 #71590 by Halford
and another thing .... :angry:
my high level stop light had died, it had also become annoying that my rear wiper didn't self-park anymore, it just stoped at whatever location I released the knob at, and now that I came to think about, I'm sure it used to work on an intermittent cycle, and not wipe constantly as it does now.

time to investigate .... :huh:

the trim on the rear door comes off really easy ...
unscrew the lock pop-up button thing
then insert a large flathead driver in the lower trim slots and gently prise off (pop - pop)

then simply work from the lower right in a clock-wise driection popping the trim off

didn't break any clips :)

now we can see what goes on

and the problem was ............
x3 snapped wires where the harness leaves the truck body an enters the read door .. inside the rubber sheath. The harness wires are far too thin and rigid and anyone who regularly uses their rear door will encounter this problem at some stage.

The issue was resolved by soldering in some new lengths of wire, in my case wire stripped from an old iron, it was far more substantial and very flexible ... it'll never fail again :whistle:

now I'm flashing and wiping everywhere :pinch:
Last edit: 24 May 2013 15:49 by Halford.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2013 17:04 #71609 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi
Does the rear wiper still go all the time or does it do an intermittent cycle

More
24 May 2013 17:07 #71610 by Halford

Does the rear wiper still go all the time or does it do an intermittent cycle

intermittent only now :woohoo:
doesn't do constant (not supposed to)
;)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2013 17:09 #71611 by markyp2000
Mmmmm may have to investigate mine then as its a pain having to turn it on and off

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2013 15:23 #71700 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi
what! there's a rear wiper on a jimny :ohmy:

next you'll be telling me there's a heated rear window as well on some of them :side:

More
25 May 2013 18:51 #71724 by Halford

what! there's a rear wiper on a jimny

on some, once the chavs learn how much they cost, there gonna go quick :blink:

next you'll be telling me there's a heated rear window as well on some of them

some have even got heated mirrors, I couldn't imagine life without them, it always makes me chuckle to see miles of traffic backed up behind the truck :evil:

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2013 21:59 - 25 May 2013 22:02 #71738 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi

darthloachie wrote: what! there's a rear wiper on a jimny :ohmy:

next you'll be telling me there's a heated rear window as well on some of them :side:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
I'm one of those who don't have a wiper or heated rear window on my Cabrio, how is that possible ?
Was it an option maybe?
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Maybe i should check the fuses ?
:evil: :evil: :evil:
:lol:
Last edit: 25 May 2013 22:02 by JuanGuillie.

More
04 Jun 2013 17:09 #72737 by Halford
today fitted some new shiny bits :)

just look at the state of the old bits - believe it or not it has just passed it's MOT .... but I wasn't happy with the performance :blink:

happy days ;)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2013 19:02 #72754 by markyp2000
You cant fail discs any more unless thay are dangerous and if the brake proformance is up to mot standards then it will pass

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds