BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Halfords Dog-Taxi

More
12 Jan 2015 16:07 #134886 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi
Hi blitz

the rear speakers are 130mm see here

and the fronts were also 130 mm see here

obviously its much easier to fit the 4 inch fronts without having to modify the plastics, but if fitting 4 inch I'd get the best quality for the price with the heaviest magnets

sound check below

sorry NineCherries only just seen your post, the new rear grabbers are so much better, it's supprising how sensitive the JImny is to tyres, I've put the problem down to having one new tyre on the rear axle mismatched with a part worn (edge worn) ex-front tyre :S . However, the backend still slides, but in a more controlled manner - but grabbers do have a poorer wet performance rating with the goodrichs being far better .... but that's for a later date (when I go large) and when a few more pennies have been saved :pinch:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jan 2015 21:00 #134934 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi
No worries sir :) the grabbers are on my possible list of new tyres hence why I was keen to check out how you got on. I can't be trying hard enough as I've still to have the back end step out.

• hunter1084
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jan 2015 23:16 #134949 by hunter1084
Replied by hunter1084 on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi

Blitz wrote: Think you used these. People's thoughts?

If you are going to go through the effort of fitting front and rear I will just chime in and say dont cheap out on speakers.
The cheap ones may be alright at the start but in the long run I would much rather spend abit more and have a mainstream brand like JVC, Pioneer, Fusion etc

On another note, Halford is there wires for the rear speakers on both sides or just on the one side?

More
13 Jan 2015 04:49 #134960 by Halford
Rear speaker wires only on nearside (that's the side without the fuel filler for peeps who drive on the wrong side :whistle: ).

You'll need to run the cable to the rear right yourself

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hunter1084

• hunter1084
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jan 2015 05:32 #134961 by hunter1084
Replied by hunter1084 on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi

Halford wrote: Rear speaker wires only on nearside (that's the side without the fuel filler for peeps who drive on the wrong side :whistle: ).

;)

Cheers for that B)
So the cable that is there will be long enough and I wont have to buy any additional speaker wire?
Sounds like itll be a weekend job!

• Blitz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jan 2015 12:30 #134987 by Blitz
Replied by Blitz on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

More
13 Jan 2015 14:38 - 13 Jan 2015 14:40 #135004 by Halford
you'll need some crimp or other type connectors to joint the speaker cables to the harness.

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jan 2015 14:40 by Halford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hunter1084

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jan 2015 15:24 #135010 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi

hunter1084 wrote:

Halford wrote: Rear speaker wires only on nearside (that's the side without the fuel filler for peeps who drive on the wrong side :whistle: ).

;)

Cheers for that B)
So the cable that is there will be long enough and I wont have to buy any additional speaker wire?
Sounds like itll be a weekend job!

no you will need to buy additional speaker wire, should only take a few hours not a weekend lol :whistle:

• Blitz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2015 19:49 #135105 by Blitz
Many thanks Halford for your info and pics. Fitted front speakers in 20 mins no problem. Fitted ear speakers in about 5 hours. Didn't realise I had to remove half the bloody Car to get access :-) still got a few bits left over.

Admit without your post I would of never guessed that plug on a main wiring harness was for the speakers. In fact mine was taped up onto the harness which gave me a little Hart attack until I noticed.

Just need to put my head unit in now and job done..

• the_goshawker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2015 20:36 #135116 by the_goshawker
Replied by the_goshawker on topic Halfords Dog-Taxi
Sounds like you had fun Blitz,why is there always one or two bits left over :unsure:

• Blitz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2015 16:02 #135172 by Blitz
First time taking the back apart. Prob do it in 4 hours next time lol.

Quick update. Speakers working fine and an improvement on the old ones until this morning.

This morning I changed over my head unit to a fairly new Pioneer I had in the old car. O my God what a difference. For any one who hasn't heard the difference between the clarion unit a a half decent unit all I can say is light and day. I was genuinely shocked how bad the clarion unit was. No Base response at all.

My thoughts for the group is.. Upgrading the speakers is totally pointless unless you ditch the old head unit.

Newer models Cound be ok but my 2004 head unit is pants.

More
06 Feb 2015 18:18 #137084 by Halford
well I had my kingpin bearings and front drag rod track-rod ends changed today

with the assistance of Gaz Gaz3359 and his reasonably priced jimny.

and the good news is that death wobble (which was pretty severe at 43mph) has totally gone :woohoo:

the minor bad news is that I need a new tie-rod (tie rod = rear, drag rod = front) with the the track rod ends removed, Gaz tried brute force (and he's not a small lad) and flames but there was no way the ends were going to budge, but never mind as the track rods ends still look OK-ish :unsure:

........... I feel a PM from someone called James heading my way soon :whistle:

Overall I can feel a much improved feel and ride at all speeds, hadn't realised how bad things had got, :whistle:

however, can now notice very minor tremors at 30 mph or less, doesn't feel like a wheel balance issue as the feeling isn't direct through the steering wheel ..... wonder if this is the older style control arm rear bush issue that Suzuki have reported on Jimny's up to VIN JSAFJB43V00422454.

happy chappy :)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds