BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

More
20 Dec 2019 09:26 - 29 Dec 2019 20:04 #216622 by kirkynut

Lambert wrote: And I bet if it hadn't had it's wheels spun with full revs in reverse it would probably have driven out. Dig a hole and sit in it!

Possibly but I'm not sure. 19" wheels with next to no tyre profile on grass you sink half an inch into when you stand on it is not a good starting combination!

He's got a Mini on it too but that doesn't need to come off yet, so perhaps when it dries out a bit he can attempt that one.

It goes to show how useful a Jimny with a winch on can be though. It made short work of it in a far more controlled way than towing would be.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 29 Dec 2019 20:04 by kirkynut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2020 23:22 #217954 by kirkynut
I've put my Beemer on eBay. So Daddy's Tractor is one step closer to becoming a daily and greenlaner!

I think I'll enjoy having one less car to maintain and this doesn't require proper washing and polishing either. Just a quick pressure wash off and a brush if it's lucky! I won't get upset about dents or curb any alloys!

I need to do a few things like tidy up the wiring in the engine bay where the battery has been re-located and for the winch solenoid and add a reversing camera to help get into tight spaces on the road.

I've got long studs on the front, so I need to pop a stud out each side and replace with a shorter one on each for a locking wheel nut.

Also my rear door hinges need to be changed as they're worn. I have replacements from the BigJimny Store but have to paint and fit them. A friend has agreed to pop over and help hold the door while I do one hinge at a time.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
15 Feb 2020 18:13 #218541 by kirkynut
I have sold my BMW and Daddy's Tractor is now my daily driver!

I'll talk to my insurance company on Monday as they insure both. They're different types of policies, so I'm guessing both will need to be cancelled and start from scratch.

So I'm hoping for a little bit of money back on insurance and there's the tax to come back too!

I'll then enjoy only paying out one lot of tax, MOT and insurance annually.

Kirkynut

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Feb 2020 19:37 #218548 by Lambert
Good for you. A Jimny as a daily makes so much sense easy to park and nimble in traffic, you'll be looking for road pattern tyres in no time!. :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Feb 2020 23:20 #218568 by kirkynut

Lambert wrote: Good for you. A Jimny as a daily makes so much sense easy to park and nimble in traffic, you'll be looking for road pattern tyres in no time!. :laugh:

Cheers Lambert. I don't think this Jimjam will ever wear road pattern tyres again though! My muds are lovely and quiet.

It will make parking at work easier as I'll be able to get into smaller spaces. I need a reversing camera though as I can never judge the distance behind me and find myself hanging out to see.

I could even do with one at the front too as it's so high, you can't judge the distance very easily as the car in front disappears below your view.

I could run front and rear cameras off of one screen I think with a three position switch that has lives on the two side positions to the camera and nothing in the centre so they can be switched as I need them.

I'd quite like front and rear dash cams too, so it will be properly camera'd up if I did that.

We'll see how I get on parking it and I might get used to it. The only thing is that the Mrs will have to use it on occasions and I don't want her to cost me an insurance claim from a parking prang.

Kirkynut

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
More
16 Feb 2020 05:30 #218573 by Lambert
You are right parking is a judgement thing and in time it is easy but for that first 6 months getting used to a new car cameras would be very useful. I thought about them for trailer use but honestly they are going to have to be a good lot cheaper for the good quality ones before they find their way onto Dreadnaught.

More
16 Feb 2020 22:48 #218632 by kirkynut

Lambert wrote: You are right parking is a judgement thing and in time it is easy but for that first 6 months getting used to a new car cameras would be very useful. I thought about them for trailer use but honestly they are going to have to be a good lot cheaper for the good quality ones before they find their way onto Dreadnaught.

I was thinking cheap ones as even expensive ones on a roughty toughty off roader are likely to have a short life through no fault of their own!

Kirkynut

More
17 Feb 2020 22:19 #218683 by kirkynut
Insurance sorted. Just changed the BMW's insurance to suit the Jimny. The Beemer's policy expires in September and the Jimny's was due to expire in April, so nothing to come back from the Jimny policy that's shut down as only 1.5 months left and only a £30 admin fee to change the BMW to the Jimny, so I'm guessing they'll be about the same premium.

I hoped for something back but I'll have to make do with a bit of tax back.

Kirkynut

More
26 Feb 2020 23:52 #219135 by kirkynut
Today I tidied up some wiring in the engine bay for my larger battery, winch, winch remote and other bits I've added over time.

There's a little more to do under there but time ran out today.

I've also scraped some surface rust from my rear off-side body mount area and treated it with Kurust and will paint it tomorrow.

I got all the boot hinge bolts undone also, to be sure they can be undone tomorrow when a mate is popping over to help me change the hinges as there might be a bit of wrestling to do with the boot.

My hinges are worn from the weight of the bigger spare wheel so I got some new hinges from the Big Jimny Store a while back. I hung them up and painted them in the garage this evening, so they should be dry tomorrow after 13 or so hours.

I also tidied up some wiring under the dash. Now I'm using it daily it makes sense for everything to be neat and tidy as it makes it a great deal more pleasurable to live with and more reliable.

Kirkynut

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
More
27 Feb 2020 05:30 #219141 by Lambert
I know what you mean about tidying wires, back in my Subaru days I was one of those people who had the visible wire paths for the amplifier in the boot looking like something out of the bike race in Tron. My standards have slipped over the years from then but neat wires are easy to fault find.

More
27 Feb 2020 10:39 #219147 by kirkynut
Well I was out in the garage until 22.00 last night putting some loom tape on it all.

My mate can't get over until tomorrow to help with the boot door now, so I'll do the Tesco run and then paint the bit I did Kurust on yesterday and maybe get the winch solenoid wiring tidied.

Kirkynut

More
01 Mar 2020 18:01 #219251 by kirkynut
I managed to do the hinge on my own in the end by hanging the rear door from the garage roof by the spare wheel carrier to take the weight of it whilst I changed the dodgy bottom hinge.

The top hinge was fine so I've not changed it yet. Now the door almost opens on its own on the gas strut. It shuts straight without needing to be slammed too! Pure luxury!

I sorted out the untidy winch solenoid wiring too.

It's proving to be a good daily now. We shall have to see if I feel the need for a reversing camera as time goes on.

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds