BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

More
05 Sep 2016 23:30 #172040 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: So I have to drop the tank and pop it back on!

Kirkynut

I'd say lucky that (near to a refuge) but breaking down ain't really good luck. It needs an access panel above.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2016 02:51 #172043 by kirkynut

helijohn wrote:

kirkynut wrote: So I have to drop the tank and pop it back on!

Kirkynut

I'd say lucky that (near to a refuge) but breaking down ain't really good luck. It needs an access panel above.

Mmm, an access panel! There's not one is there! I'm pretty sure there's not! I'll lift the rear seat to check mind! If only life were as simple!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
06 Sep 2016 18:47 #172064 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote:

helijohn wrote:

kirkynut wrote: I'll lift the rear seat to check mind! If only life were as simple!

Kirkynut

Get the tinsnips out or nibbler but I advise no grinder wheel! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
06 Sep 2016 20:50 #172073 by kirkynut
All fixed - I had to drop the tank!

There surely cannot be any more surprises from the previous owner! I've had just about all of this car apart now!

I've got a couple of fixes to do though. The bolts holding the filler neck in sheered, so I have to drill new holes in the rim and either nut and bolt to other holes already in the plate on the filler neck or use self tappers - no great issue.

The other is the rear offside transfer box mount outrigger has a crack in it from either end which is moving inwards with metal fatigue. I think it's taken a direct hit in the past and this has happened over a period of time. So I either have to get it welded up with some strengthening, or have a new bolt on mount made up that bolts through the chassis. The solid transfer box mounts probably didn't help this but the others are all still quite stout!

The bolts on the fuel tank guard sheered in their captive nuts on the guard. So I have to grind those off and have new nuts welded on too!

Nothing major and all easily rectified but it's just over a month to Wales Rally GB and I hoped to take the Jimny again. I might have to take my Beemer, which will be a lot nicer but not as much fun!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2016 08:41 #172391 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
i have may fingers crossed for you

More
22 Sep 2016 22:44 #172708 by kirkynut
Cheers!

I've fixed the fuel filler and the tank guard. I just need to put the guard back on and it's booked in with my mate for the transfer box mount to be welded and beefed up next weekend!

Kirkynut

More
02 Oct 2016 19:24 - 27 Feb 2018 22:11 #173083 by kirkynut
Right! This is what the rear off-side transfer box mount outrigger looked like:

File Attachment:

This is what it looks like after my friend repaired it and beefed it up for me:

File Attachment:

I've replaced the studding for a proper bolt with a nyloc nut on it now though! Oh and the extra black bush was just to space the bolt I drove it there with as it ran out of thread due to the shank of the bolt being longer, but I knew the extra material being added would take up that space so I've put the bolt back on.

So it's all fixed now. I just have to put the fuel tank guard back on as I've sorted that out now and it's MOT time on Tuesday!

It should be OK at the MOT and I have no worries for it. Then Wales Rally GB at the end of the month!

Kirkynut

Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 22:11 by kirkynut.

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2016 20:19 #173093 by jim
Well done kirkynut enjoy the rally it'll be much more fun in the jimny.

More
02 Oct 2016 20:25 #173094 by kirkynut
Cheers Jim. It's a heck of a journey to Wales from Essex in a modified Jimny and is slow getting about Wales to the stages but there are so many spectators now that the advantage of being able to park in spaces normal cars can't means that you can get much closer to the stage and have to walk less!

Also, the weather won't stop me if it rains heavily and there are floods, something that some parts of Wales know far too well unfortunately.

Kirkynut

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2016 20:36 #173098 by jim
That's quite a trek but the Suzuki 4x4 community need representing. :)

More
04 Oct 2016 12:20 #173145 by kirkynut
MOT passed!

Kirkynut

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2016 13:29 #173146 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
Yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa ;)

Great news always a relief

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds