BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

More
18 Dec 2014 21:07 #132740 by kirkynut

Tadpole wrote: What a busy day, so pleased your mechanic was willing to help out at short notice ...... ;)

Well I only needed him to check my brake pipes and that the flares were right for the fittings I had and that the issue had been me fitting new pipes and fittings to crusty cylinders, rather than a problem with the pipes made up by the local factors. I did the work.

So I only took a minute of his time up really. He's a good old boy and is more knowledgeable than most experienced mechanics. I trust what he says, so his opinion is important to me. He is so busy, I think he is glad I do most of my mechanical work myself!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2014 21:11 #132742 by kirkynut

helijohn wrote:

kirkynut wrote: I've been working on my Jimny the last 2 days. The reason:
Kirkynut

Why do so many motors come to us in such a neglected state!! :(

You have really cracked on with your Jimny, pat on the back time.

Cheers and I agree. Use them or lose them. The likes of Eurocarparts are sending many under but I am lucky to have had 2 I could count on at short notice to come up with the goods.

The one by my parents looks after me and charges me trade prices as I've used them so much in the past. They always bend over backwards to find a part too. I know it'll be the right bit when I get it also. Icouldn't say the same about Eurocarparts!

Long Live the Motor Factor!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
18 Dec 2014 21:17 #132743 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: So I only took a minute of his time up really. He's a good old boy and is more knowledgeable than most experienced mechanics.
Kirkynut

I have a similar sort of bunch of great chaps at my MoT garage; the ones who confirmed my damaged Pinin halfshaft.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
18 Dec 2014 22:02 #132744 by supergaz
Remember to save the old diff parts, the side gears and 4 pin carrier will be handy for a 26 spline shaft conversion for the front diff. This would also make the front diff stronger as it's only 2 pin.

More
18 Dec 2014 22:39 - 18 Dec 2014 22:42 #132750 by kirkynut

supergaz wrote: Remember to save the old diff parts, the side gears and 4 pin carrier will be handy for a 26 spline shaft conversion for the front diff. This would also make the front diff stronger as it's only 2 pin.

I'd best see what the damage is first as I've not actually seen where the damage lies. It could be useable if I perhaps put an ARB in the front one day, albeit I can't see that happening as I'd need one in the rear too and I don't fancy doing that job again in a hurry! I did consider sending the one I've put in it off to Mr Redacted to put an ARB in it but then reconsidered spending that sort of money. I'm glad I did given the damage with the second tooth coming out.

I suppose it would be a thousand times easier now everything has been apart as I greased what ought to be greased and the brakes will come apart and go back together without falling apart!

To be honest I'm likely to replace these tyres with something less extreme when they run out of tread or deteriorate. Then I'll not need HD shafts or CV's as it won't have the grip to damage them and I'll only be Laning now.

I'm considering getting a machine polisher and seeing if I can revive the paintwork when the better weather comes next year. I also want to get the ORA rear bumper off, blasted and paint it. The powder coating began to peel soon after fitting it. The cage will need rubbing down and painting this coming summer too!

Essentially I want to look after it and make it a smart Laning Truck, rather than the extreme beast I was once striving for a few years ago!

It's got a Christmas present for it coming in the post too. I'll post a piccie when it arrives and is fitted! It's just a bit geekey!

Kirkynut

Last edit: 18 Dec 2014 22:42 by kirkynut.

More
18 Dec 2014 22:58 #132752 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: Essentially I want to look after it and make it a smart Laning Truck, rather than the extreme beast I was once striving for a few years ago!

It's got a Christmas present for it coming in the post too. I'll post a piccie when it arrives and is fitted! It's just a bit geekey!

Kirkynut

At last, converting to a street princess. :laugh: :laugh:

More
19 Dec 2014 00:04 #132761 by kirkynut

helijohn wrote:

kirkynut wrote: Essentially I want to look after it and make it a smart Laning Truck, rather than the extreme beast I was once striving for a few years ago!

Kirkynut

At last, converting to a street princess. :laugh: :laugh:

Erm -No John, it will see some mud in 2015!

I just want it to look a bit respectable too! I feel it needs a cuddle after needing repairs to it's rear diff and brakes! Hell I might even give it a cuddle tomorrow! It's a bit cold to go out to the garage and do it now!

Kirkynut

More
20 Dec 2014 15:35 - 27 Feb 2018 20:26 #132863 by kirkynut
The Jimny's Christmas present has arrived, so I've screwed it on:

File Attachment:

I even gave it a bath!

File Attachment:

Rubbish phone pics but hey, I've been busy!

Kirkynut

Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 20:26 by kirkynut.

More
20 Dec 2014 16:40 - 27 Feb 2018 20:27 #132871 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: The Jimny's Christmas present has arrived, so I've screwed it on:

Kirkynut

Coincidence, I was looking at an 8 ball one I have but it's a no no on an automatic. :(

Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 20:27 by kirkynut.

More
20 Dec 2014 17:51 #132877 by kirkynut
Consider yourself lucky then John as now you can look at my ball knob whenever you like! :blush:

Kirkynut

More
20 Dec 2014 18:57 #132880 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: Consider yourself lucky then John as now you can look at my ball knob whenever you like! :blush:

Kirkynut

Attachments:

More
18 Feb 2015 22:44 #138381 by kirkynut
I have ordered one of these from the Bigjimny Shop: www.bigjimny.com/store/index.php?_a=product&product_id=215

I've got a knocking when I engage drive and it seems to be transmission related rather than suspension. I've read may of you saying this has failed and caused a knocking so had a look at mine and it does look pooped. The rubber looks all cracked and crumbly, so I guess this is the cause.

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds