BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Starter Motor Fitting

More
14 Jan 2023 09:00 #246878 by PeterH
Starter Motor Fitting was created by PeterH
What a nightmare !  
Having read the various threads on the forum about replacing the starter motor (2013 Jimny) and having only limited lifting I thought it easiest to remove the inlet manifold and come at it from above. 
Every bolt was Loctited and some of the manifold bolts are not easy to access. Then once down to the starter there was no way to loosen the bolts. Eventually I got the lower one but I had to use an Oxy Acetylene torch to free the top one. It would have been impossible from underneath. How a garage would do it I've no idea. You couldn't get an impact wrench in.

I've got a classic Mini and thought some of the jobs on that were bad enough but Oh Boy !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2023 13:17 #246887 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Starter Motor Fitting
Mine came off easy once I removed the intake. goes twice as fast the second time you do it of course. Most garages got special angled tools for tight spaces.

I suspect your intake or starter (or engine / gearbox) have been fiddled with earlier if there is loctite on the bolts. Mine did not have that and all came out "easy" enough. But sure takes some time and alot of fiddling as you say and lots of bolts and nuts and plugs and wires and hoses..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds