BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Heater Matrix Problem

More
13 Jan 2023 15:39 - 13 Jan 2023 15:40 #246856 by Too Deer
Afternoon all,

I have been lurking for a few weeks, trying to work out what I needed to look out for when buying a Jimny. 

A few days ago, I took the plunge and splurged on a 58 plate Jimny that appears to be rust-free (or as close to that as they come) and I got it for a steal.

It seems as though there is an issue with the coolant system resulting in the following symptoms:
  • The heater will not blow hot
  • The engine temp suddenly went into the red as soon as I came off the motorway on the drive home.
  • Top pipe was hot and rigid
All of which I would usually put down to a faulty thermostat or a blockage somewhere else. However, I noticed that the cab got more and more damp as I drove home.

Upon inspection this afternoon, I found a random pipe (looks distinctly like a coolant pipe) underneath the passenger seat and the passenger footwell is full of coolant.

Soooooo..... I fear it is the heater matrix. Based on the requirement to remove the entire dash, does anyone know roughly how much it is likely to cost me to have it sorted? ....... just trying to prep my bank account for the pain!

Thanks!
Last edit: 13 Jan 2023 15:40 by Too Deer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2023 15:58 #246857 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Heater Matrix Problem
I sell the heater matrix for around £75 delivered (depending on where you are) but have never changed one. I would check around that nothing such as a pipe or actuating lever has been kicked off by the driver or passenger

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Too Deer

More
13 Jan 2023 16:09 #246858 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Heater Matrix Problem
Never heard of anyone having heater problems like this. But however there is from time to time overheating problems with the m13 engines, either cracked cylinder head or head gasket.
Worst case it could be that something has cracked open from the overheating causing the coolant to leak.

sorry for the scare, hoping it is just a hose.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
13 Jan 2023 16:38 #246859 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Heater Matrix Problem
It sounds like the matrix itself is leaking. I expect your coolant level is down, which is why the car has over-heated.

The pipe under the passenger seat is a mystry, is it matrix pipe size or bigger?

The heater matrix has two pipes coming off it, both steel, a feed pipe (hot water) and a return pipe which go in to flexible pipe, but as far as I know the flexible pipes are inside the engine bay, not the passenger compartment, unless someone has bodged/modified it.

If the flexible pipe was leaking, it would leak in to the engine bay not the vehicle interior.

I guess as a quick test, you could bypass the heater matrix inside the engine bay to see if the engine still over-heats, that narrows it down to the matrix.

Good luck

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
13 Jan 2023 21:44 #246872 by Chilton
Replied by Chilton on topic Heater Matrix Problem
I've recently paid £500 for a local garage to fit a matrix to a gen 3. That was labour only, I provided the matrix. They had to remove the dash. I don't think I was ripped off, I think it just takes a long time to do and beyond my skills. At least I hope I wasn't ripped off.....!!

More
13 Jan 2023 22:18 #246873 by Roger Fairclough
Is the water in the footwell the same colour as the rad. water or is it clear like rainwater?

Roger

More
13 Jan 2023 22:24 #246874 by Too Deer
Replied by Too Deer on topic Heater Matrix Problem
Thanks Chilton!

More
13 Jan 2023 22:26 #246875 by Too Deer
Roger, it's very much coolant coloured!

More
19 Jan 2023 08:23 #247010 by Too Deer
Right. It's been into the garage and the good news is that they can stop the overheating; it was just a hole in the radiator pipe.

The bad news is that in their opinion, the heater matrix has been deliberately bypassed because it leaks, and bypassing is a cheap alternative to the dash-out replacement option. It's pretty much what I feared but they then quoted 13hrs to do the job 

Martin, once I've got over the shock and found someone who can do it a little quicker, I'll be in touch to buy the part.

More
19 Jan 2023 11:22 #247012 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Heater Matrix Problem
On the SJ (Jimny gen 2) when they get old, the heater matrix often is full of debris, leaves and such. I once just cut a hole in the heater casing to access it for cleaning, and glued a piece of plastic over the hole afterwords. (the lid of an ice cream box)

Maybe such a repair is possible on the jimny gen 3?
Cut it off/open, swap the matrix and glue it back together?

Or find the actual leak, and solder or glue the leak in the matrix in place if possible?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
19 Jan 2023 13:34 #247014 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Heater Matrix Problem
This guy replaced his heater matrix, it took 6 hours, most of that time was removing the dashboard. Scroll down he gives a list of what needs to be undone.

auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54362

There are other Youtube videos where people say cut the heater matrix pipes and it will come out without removing the dash, but then you have to have flexible pipes to connect the matrix and I wouldn't fancy that.

A garage should be able to get the dash out, heater changed and back in in 6 hours or less, so shop around.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds