BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Killing the squirrel alert on a Gen.4.

More
05 Jan 2023 15:46 #246684 by Roger Fairclough
Electronics are never my forte, so I need your assistance to condemn my "squirrel" alert to the waste bin. Yes I know I can switch it off but this has to be done every time I start the engine. I would like a nice simple delay to automatically switch on and then switch of the system. I have tried a little sign that I stuck on the dash but I kept on missing it and the circuit stayed live.
Any ideas?

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2023 17:45 #246690 by mlines
Just short out the test link on the diagnostic connector or buy the third party switch kit which simply shorts it out

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
05 Jan 2023 17:59 #246693 by Gadget
What's the squirrel alert?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike, Soeley

More
05 Jan 2023 18:36 - 05 Jan 2023 18:39 #246697 by Scimike
Ditto^^^^ please elaborate for those not lucky enough to have an alert squirrel 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jan 2023 18:39 by Scimike.

More
05 Jan 2023 19:11 #246698 by mlines
Squirreling, rear end sliding around as the immense power of the 1500cc screams into action.

TC/ESP cuts in to stop this. However sometimes when offroad driving, particularly on sand or snow you want to turn it off. Unfortunately Suzuki have seen fit to automatically turn it back on every time you restart the engine or go over 40mph.

There is a diagnostic connector you can put a wire look in to turn it off and an aftermarket kit to do the same

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, Soeley

More
05 Jan 2023 19:44 #246699 by Roger Fairclough
The handbook describes it as "Dual sensor brake support indicator light" see page2-49 in the handbook. Basically the light comes on - it flashes orange - and an alarm goes off if something trips the proximity warning circuit. This can be a pedestrian, any vehicle getting to close, a bird flying across the front of the Jimny or, as in our case, a squirrel playing chicken.

Thank you all for your comments and Martin, where do I get the kit please?

Roger

More
05 Jan 2023 20:53 #246705 by mlines
You are actually talking about a different thing, you sent me on the wrong track with Squirrel which I use to describe a car fidgeting around.

You are talking about the dual sensor hazard detection. Unlike the TC/ESP I don't believe you can permanently switch it off. However it's hazard perception or "Calm down Gerald" as it is known in our family, does have an interesting characteristic. Gerald, our early SZ5, panics at everything and cries " we are all doomed" if a leaf crosses it's path. Geraldine, our late model LCV, drives like it's on Mogadon, it's calm, relaxed and rarely panics. In Geraldine, which is our daily drive and is out every day, she panics around once per month. Whilst I don't drive Gerald very often, he panics virtually every time I have been in it.

There is no bulletin on this in the Suzuki manual but there is an adjustment against a printed Lidar target. It might be worth getting a dealer to check the Lidar aim.

Martin

Martin

More
05 Jan 2023 21:11 #246709 by mlines
Further reading of the workshop manual

The TC/ESP disable link apparently ALSO disables the Dual sensor Hazard perception!!

There are videos and links out on the Internet on how to disable it and also how to make/purchase a switch. As you are disabling a safety feature  I will leave you to google the links rather than me publishing them.

Martin

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jan 2023 05:35 #246711 by Lambert
And people wonder why I didn't want a gen4. My TC warning is just a light so is the tpms warning and the collision avoidance system is inside my head. Good luck with all your electronic stuff, especially in the future when it starts going wrong because a sensor is intermittent.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Jan 2023 08:05 #246712 by Scimike
But you are going to run over a lot of Squirrels with you flat tyres 
Not a fan of gizmos myself, but it's an unavoidable eventuality of nanny states and laws.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
06 Jan 2023 08:25 #246713 by Soeley
And the Gen4, still has a lot less tech than most cars of the same age.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jan 2023 09:59 #246715 by Lambert

But you are going to run over a lot of Squirrels with you flat tyres 
Not a fan of gizmos myself, but it's an unavoidable eventuality of nanny states and laws.

That made I larf!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds