BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Paint code

More
23 Dec 2022 09:37 #246498 by passy
Paint code was created by passy
Hi i have a 2002 metalic green jimny that I need to do a bit of touching up on the paint work. Nothing big just some very small areas the size of a finger nail. Question is weher do i find the paint code on the car and where do i go to get spray paint / touch up pen ? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2022 12:08 #246499 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Paint code
The paint code should be on the VIN plate

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: passy

More
23 Dec 2022 12:22 #246500 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Paint code
Code location is as Martin said ∆∆∆
Once you have it find a local automotive paint supplier, they will mix from the code cans and touchup pen as required. You may get lucky and find it in a local parts supplier (Halfords in UK etc) as a pre mix, but if they don't they will be getting it from a paint supplier and charging you more.
Sadly the age of your vehicle means the sun will have faded your body colour, so anything mixed from the vin may appear darker unless you feather the finish. Some paint suppliers can scan you body panels and try to mix a better match, take the car to them nd discuss.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
23 Dec 2022 16:02 #246503 by passy
Replied by passy on topic Paint code
Good point about the sun fade, Hadn't thought about that one.

More
23 Dec 2022 16:28 #246506 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Paint code
If it is a small scratch and you don’t get paint matched to the [faded] colour then just buy a small touch up pot and just paint the scratch, use as little as possible, it might take 2 or 3 goes to get the right cover and depth of paint. Non-metallic colours are easier to do, just because of the high gloss finish of a metallic paint.

Then use a very fine wet and dry (2,500 grit) and very gently take off the rough stuff, finish with T-Cut and then polish. The trick is to just fill the scratch and then not to remove any of the original paint around the scratch.

If you go for paint mixed to your colour code, I have bought it from a seller based in Northern Ireland on eBay,it seems a good match and have bought touch up, spray cans and bulk paint to go in a spray gun.

Hope that helps.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
26 Dec 2022 18:03 #246560 by passy
ok now found the VIN code what part of that gives me the colour code? Number starts JSAFB43V001 followed by five more numbers. From what I can find there appears to be at least 3 shades of green.

More
26 Dec 2022 18:58 #246561 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Paint code
Its not part of the VIN number (although if you give the the number I can tell you the color.

Its stamped on the VIN plate

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
26 Dec 2022 20:04 - 26 Dec 2022 20:05 #246562 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Paint code
It's on the Vin plate on ours as Martin said. Ours is at the bottom although they may have moved it around over the years.

the code in this instance is ZDL.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Dec 2022 20:05 by Scimike.

More
26 Dec 2022 20:55 #246564 by passy
I think i looked at the wrong number, I was looking at the one through the windscreen. I know think I need the one that is near the battery.

More
27 Dec 2022 13:21 #246569 by passy
Now found the matching vin plate to that picture. I have a code of Z21 C03. So is Z21 the paint and C03 the interior ?

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds