BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Any advice on the oil?

More
14 Nov 2022 17:48 - 14 Nov 2022 17:49 #245948 by Vandoni
Replied by Vandoni on topic Any advice on the oil?
i'm actually looking for a diesel version bonnet since those have hood scoops, but i want to keep the grille integrated in the bonnet because it looks better imo, haven't had any luck in finding any parts yet
Last edit: 14 Nov 2022 17:49 by Vandoni.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2022 18:04 #245950 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Any advice on the oil?

yeah the m13a doesn't have an oil temp sensor, but i'm having an aftermarket one installed and an indicator, 

I'd say forget about the oil temperature gauge & sensor, it's not going to give you any more information than you already have - an oil pressure on the other hand might be more informative.

Assuming a liquid cooled engine, coolant temperature is the best indicator of engine temperature, the lubricating oil takes longer to warm up & cool down, your engine could overheat and seize before the oil temperature even rose high enough for it to show on the gauge.

Back to the oil pressure gauge - oil pressure in an engine is like blood pressure in a human body, if it's too high you have a problem, if it's too low you have a problem, knowing that it is higher or lower than it should be allows you to take corrective action before it becomes a major problem - an oil pressure gauge will tell you if there is enough lubrication when the engine is hot.

See if you can find out how Ferrari officially recommends a grade of oil - I've been told it's whatever grade you need to give a specific oil pressure at a specific rpm point, in the conditions under which you would normally be operating the engine - it's a parallel to what I'm telling you here - the oil pressure is what's critical - too thin an oil for the temperature the pressure drops, too thick it increases
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vandoni

More
14 Nov 2022 18:10 #245951 by Vandoni
mh ok i understand, i'll still use the temp gauge, but i'll install a pressure one and a sensor as well, i'll check what ferrari says then XD
thanks for the advice

More
14 Nov 2022 18:42 #245952 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Any advice on the oil?
I added an oil pressure gauge to my 1970s air cooled motorbike, they used to fit them as standard, but stopped a couple of years before my bike was made as when warm and at tick over the oil pressure drops to a worryingly low value. At mid range it’s about 55, at tick over it drops to less than 10.

So don’t be surprised if the same happens on your Jimny.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
14 Nov 2022 18:56 #245953 by fordem
The Jimny WILL do something very similar, the challenge lies in knowing what is "normal" and what is "time-to-get-upset".

The FSM will tell you what the expected & acceptable pressure is.

More
14 Nov 2022 19:00 #245954 by Vandoni
oh wow for real? if u guys hadn't warned me beforehand i bet i'd get super scared XD
also what does FSM mean?

More
14 Nov 2022 20:20 #245955 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Any advice on the oil?
The obvious first question is what are these signs that the oil is "getting too thin"? How are you measuring the viscocity? What are the symptoms? What is the problem you are trying to fix?
In my experience you can run these engines very hard on the bare minimum of servicing using the cheapest oils and they will easily outlast the rest of the car. I've been on this forum and a few Jimny facebook groups for a decade and I can't recall any instances of lubrication related failures (e.g. crank, rods, pistons, cams etc.).

More
14 Nov 2022 20:36 #245957 by fordem

also what does FSM mean?
Factory Service Manual

More
15 Nov 2022 01:28 #245958 by Vandoni
oh right i should have guessed that

More
15 Nov 2022 01:31 #245959 by Vandoni
my lifters are loud, and i noticed that the sound goes away completely when i add fresh oil and it gets worse when i push hard and (i think) the oil gets really hot, and in general i want to avoid any risks of improper lubrication under really heavy loads, like when i keep the revs over 4k when practicing rallying offroad.
also, would you guys happen to know any good ways to ensure proper oil pressure when the car is going through lateral g loads? i heard that long curves at high lateral Gs can starve the oil pump

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Nov 2022 04:35 #245960 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Any advice on the oil?
Firstly I agree with what has already been said about using the grade of oil specified in the owners manual, this will probably be 5w30. Second I work my Jimny hard, not necessarily at sustained high revs but regularly at high loading both carrying and towing. I had over a hundred thousand miles on my last one with no ill effects and fully expect the same from this current one. Third, m13a engines are cheap enough and easy enough to swap if you do somehow manage to kill one, which is unlikely. Fourth, attempting to second guess the research and development department of Suzuki with regards to something as important as the lubricants of the engine is I think something of a fools errand, they spent much time and money on getting it right.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Nov 2022 05:31 #245961 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Any advice on the oil?
Just out of interest how old, how many miles are on your Jimny? The reason being that a healthy engine should only offer the light tick tick of the injectors as they fire, your comments about the lifters being quietened with new oil makes me think this engine is starting to wear and for what you are wanting to do with it it might either benefit from a rebuild or want replacing with a newer and or bigger one. Also you mention getting a diesel bonnet for the scoop, this will not help with engine bay temperature, you need to give the hot air somewhere to go either by fitting vents or spacing up the back edge of the bonnet, trying to force more air in the front isn't the answer as you will be fighting pressure under the bonnet.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds