BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

1994 Jimny JA11V - Fog Lamp Relay Location

More
12 Nov 2022 00:17 #245905 by Jasen HIcks
Good morning from Japan! I have a 1994 JA11V Jimny here in Japan that I love - its such a fun little truck to drive and tinker with. A lot of learning along the way manually (spoken trial, error, and guessing at times) as I update and refresh  things. I am in the process of adding a pair of KC HiLites to my front bumper (it currently has some aftermarket "Super Off Road" lights that came with it from a seller on Yahoo Auctions Japan that I didn't hook up, I really on wanted the bumper). My goal is to use the factory fog light connector to trigger a high power relay that proves the power to the new lights. This will let me use the factory fog lamp switch and keep the interior dash looking stock. 

During my preps, I wanted to make sure everything was good to go on the truck. I flipped the switch for the fog lamps and they bulb on the switch illuminated. Good to go, right? Well.... I checked the voltage at the fog lamp connector itself (the 2 pin MT090 Sumitomo connector) and found no voltage there. 

I checked the fuse for the fog lamps and its good.

I pulled the switch and inspected it with the multimeter and its working (voltage is moving around appropriately when swtiched).

After I clicked the switch a few times I heard the fog lamp relay clicking which makes me think that it might be the problem part. I can hear it clicking, but I don't know where in the cabin the relay is located (thanks to being a submariner my hearing isn't as spatially tuned as it was 20 years ago). My plan is to locate the relay and inspect and replace it. Ill also be checking wire continuity between the relay and the engine bay while I'm in there. So my question is:

Where is the fog lamp relay located? How much of the dashboard (if any) will I need to pull to get to it? I need to know if I have to spend a full day on this or not so I can budget my time appropriately :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds