BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2006 Petrol Jimny acceleration problem / lack of power please help.

More
09 Oct 2022 15:54 #245344 by jonnyjimny
Hello all new to the forums here,

Got an issue with our Jimny thats driving us crazy no pun intended. Was hoping someone with more experience with cars may have had similar issues and can shed some light.

Basically the car has zero acceleration speed to the point its dangerous. When i put my foot down the car just revs out but goes nowhere. Have to lower revs slowly to get through the gears. Getting uphill is a real struggle to the point that its like driving a 20 ton lorry. Its also going through petrol like crazy. Probably due to the extra revs im having to give it. I put it in 4wd and it can barely move.

We have not much money to fix the car up and no money to buy a new car so im hoping someone may have had a similar issue and give me some hope :(

It has recently been serviced and had some minor repairs to the exhaust due to rust. It was struggling at this time but hoped a service would help but its getting worse.

I have put it through a basic ECU scan with my OBD 2 but no faults at all.

It has done over 100,000 miles 06 plate so its far from new. Im thinking spark plugs or something similar just not sure. Its like the engine is working at 20%.  I have it booked in for a mechanic to look at next saturday so im hoping he finds an issue but im not confident. 

Anyway any help or similar issues shared would be a comfort.

regards

Jonny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Oct 2022 16:13 #245345 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. First suggestions would be a blocked catalytic converter. The upstream cat disintegrates and blocks the downstream one.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonnyjimny

More
09 Oct 2022 17:47 #245347 by DrRobin
Is it a manual or auto?

If it is a manual and the revs go up but the car doesn't move forwards it sounds like the clutch is slipping really badly. Reducing the revs and feeding the power in slowly the clutch is less likely to slip and therefore you can get somewhere, but with a massive reduction in power. Clutch slip would also account for the poor fuel economy.

I don't know enough about the automatics to know if it is something else in the gear box, but clutch is still my first thought.

Do you get a squeal as well?

If it is the clutch it is something that will need to be fixed as it will only get worse and if it collapses it might cause yet more damage.

If the revs don't rise, except with vehicle speed then blocked air filter, blocked exhaust, spark plugs, fuel, timing, etc are all things to look at.

Hope that helps

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
09 Oct 2022 20:55 #245353 by Delux
Sounds like clutch to me too.

When we have to move a car at the garage with a knackered clutch you can generally nurse it into the workshop by gently moving off in 2nd gear.
There could be other issues that caused the clutch to fail (oil leak onto clutch, badly sticking brakes etc.) but hopefully your mechanic will identify this.
Clutches do wear out. If you do more town driving or towing or drive like Mrs. Delux your clutch will wear out faster than normal.

Replacing the clutch in a Jimny is a straighforward job. You dont have to support the engine, remove any subframes/front driveshafts and the gearbox is pretty small. Its doable in a driveway if you fancy it.

When the clutch fails there can be noise/crunching gears/burning smell too.

If its an auto clutches and brake bands can fail and slip too but generally they are intended to last the life of the car. Replacing them generally isnt a job a normal garage would attempt.

In my experience a blocked cat will cause the engine to cut out or prevent it starting at all. Cats generally dont fail without warning. Has the 'check engine' been on? Has the engine been misfiring? (Spluttery, uneven, rough sounding)

You didnt mention any of these symptoms and your code reader hasnt shown any DTCs.

Have a bit of faith in your mechanic! Its a sad reality most people expect to be ripped off by their mechanic because of the behaviour of a handful of @*$£holes!

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

More
10 Oct 2022 07:50 #245357 by jonnyjimny
HI thank you all!

It is a manual i forgot to mention, the car starts fine and there is no misfires. Gears are a bit clunky but i just put it down to age. 

Now that you mention clutch i think this could be it the more i think about it!

I have noticed burning like smells coming from the car when driving and revving, i just totally forgot. Its the mrs car and she mainly uses it for short journeys and the school runs. I had to borrow it for my work commute one day and it was smelling like burnt rubber or something a like when revving when trying to get some speed up. 

I will make sure to mention this to the mechanic.  To be fair he seems decent and always comments on how he loves these cars haha. 
It might be a silly question but how would a mechanic diagnose a dodgy clutch and know for sure its the cause. Would he be able to tell by physically looking at the parts or just by symptoms.

Again thank you all.

Jonny

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Oct 2022 08:34 #245359 by Lambert
If there is a burning smell then yes I agree with the clutch as a culprit.

The really redneck way that I would not advise to check a clutch is to gently touch a sturdy wall with the front bumper and then engage 5th gear and slowly lift the clutch pedal. If it stalls the engine the clutch is ok if it doesn't stall the clutch is bad. This is very very redneck and I don't recommend trying it at home.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Oct 2022 08:53 #245362 by DrRobin
It is definately clutch.

- It is slipping when under load;
- It is not disengaging correctly;
- It is smelling as it slips under load.

Sometimes the clutch thrust bearing goes, but then you usually get squealing as well and when the clutch doesn't sit straight you then get slip and difficulty in engaging gears.

However, yours just sounds like the clutch plate. If the clutch cable was badly adjusted or stretching that could cause the same problem, but since you have the smell the clutch plate has almost certainly been fried and needs replacing.

The mechanic will just take it for a short drive and know straight away.

I am not sure how much it will be to change, a new clutch is around £100 (pattern part) and a search suggests about 3 hours labour, but I haven't done the job so could say for sure.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
21 Oct 2022 15:31 #245516 by jonnyjimny
Hi just to update

We got it fixed!

The mechanic had it for 4 days and it cost us over 900 in total with labour but it was worth it as it's driving like a dream now.

Turns out the flywheel was the culprit which knackered the clutch. So we needed a new flywheel and clutch kit. He showed me the parts and they were well worn.

He also had problems with the gearbox support bracket which he wanted to replace but it was like 250 plus so he managed to repair / weld it it for 50 quid.

The flywheel and flywheel bearing cost like 300 ugh.

We also needed a release bearing.

Anyway it's fixed now that's the main thing and she's flying. Hopefully no more surprises ☺️
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
22 Oct 2022 08:38 #245525 by DrRobin
That’s a shame about the flywheel (and cost) not sure if it is common on Jimnys, I have heard of it happening on other cars.

Still at least it is done and you can enjoy your Jimny again.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds