BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Best Tuning program to start tuning?

More
20 Oct 2022 21:14 #245509 by Delux
Megasquirt can be set to control VVT. The whole Megasquirt platform is adaptable.
The basic kit may not control VVT but you can add and adapt it. 1st setup I saw was on an 1100bhp Toyota Supra. It had been set up and mapped to run electric water pumps, nitrous, water injection etc.

You can damage the Cat with a Megasquirt kit but you would have to set it up to do so. If you have built something with a cat, setting the megasquirt up to maintain lambda is no different to using the standard ECU. Would you really be setting an engine for optimum fuel ratio with the standard cat?
Set incorrectly you could also damage the engine advancing the timing enough to cause pinking but again, who would go to the trouble putting together a Megasquirt kit and not bother using a knock sensor?

Would you want to keep the VVT anyway? On modern engines VVT is more to control emissions rather than performance. If you are at the stage of spending the time and money to setup an ECU you will have an idea what you want to use the car for and when you need peak power or torque. Setting the cam timing with solid pulleys and junking the VVT will reduce reciprocating mass and increase power.

Back to the subject, having your ECU remapped (or making your own Megasquirt one) will probably give you better performance if the reprogrammer knows what they are doing but fitting a bigger M16A is far less hassle!

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2022 03:53 #245920 by Delux

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds