BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

G13BB shutting down

More
23 Sep 2022 13:01 #245077 by Carlosbeldia
As  any love story, not everything is perfect. We are having problems with our Jimny lately. It just decides sometimes to shut off or after some trips just doesn’t start again.

after some minutes it will re start and will go as nothing have happen. We already have changed:

spark plugs
ignition coils
spark plugs cables 
fuel pump
checked and changed timing resistance

When the failure appears, radio resets, as if the battery was disconnected. Also, when it shuts off and you try to re start it, it sounds like the batt is down in power (not true, battery is in good condition). When finally re starts, starter motor goes normal, like battery is in perfect charge state.

CMP sensor is a big suspect. When failure happens, we pour some water over it and most of the times it re starts. However, it wouldn’t explain the radio reset or the seemingly “temporary low batt” situation. We bought a new one but came damaged from factory, still expecting a replacement.

Any ideas are welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Sep 2022 15:15 #245082 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic G13BB shutting down
Usually it is the crank or cam sensor that causes it but it's not impossible that you have a bad main earth strap somewhere?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Sep 2022 13:09 #245098 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic G13BB shutting down
I saw something slightly similar years ago on a different vehicle, it was a fault with the starter motor, whilst the engine was running it would just suddenly spin up, draw a lot of current and cause the engine to stall.

It then needed to cool down and let the voltage on the battery recover before the engine would start.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
24 Sep 2022 15:15 #245100 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic G13BB shutting down
A number of years back, my Grand Vitara was doing something similar - the engine would randomly die & immediately restart, it's a manual transmission vehicle so the symptoms were a brief loss of power and the dash cluster warning lights coming on & going off - it went on for a few days until I drove the car at night, and realized that when it happened, all the lights blinked out and the radio was also going off.

I didn't think it was the battery because the starter cranked flawlessly, so I checked the power wiring from the battery, through the main fuse, tec., etc., etc. - all good, clean & tight.

Put a new battery in and haven't had the problem since and that's actually two batteries ago, so maybe six or eight years.

More
24 Sep 2022 17:15 #245101 by DrRobin
Batteries can sometimes loose material from the plates which can collect in the bottom and short out one or more cells. When they do this they draw a large internal current and it drops the voltage whilst it burn off the material. The battery can get very hot and take a few minutes to recovery. The old trick is to shake the battery to re-distribute the material.

What causes the plates to loose material is often unknown, but over-charging, over-discharging and high ripple (noise) as well as poor regulation of the alternator can all cause the problem.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
24 Sep 2022 23:37 #245102 by Carlosbeldia
Replied by Carlosbeldia on topic G13BB shutting down
Thanks a lot for your opinions. Today I noticed water in the battery and checked the voltage. It’s charging 15-16 volts. It appears this damaged the sensor (checked in another car). Tomorrow we’ll repair the generator and check again. Let you know.

More
25 Sep 2022 08:31 - 25 Sep 2022 08:32 #245105 by DrRobin
It sounds like the battery has had it. It might just have been the battery but if you have the equipment to test alternator/regulator and check for ripple that would be good.

Often it is the battery that acts as the regulator and stops the voltage going too high. They also smooth out any ripple so a weak or failing battery can then result in a lot of other problems.

Good luck

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Last edit: 25 Sep 2022 08:32 by DrRobin.

More
27 Sep 2022 21:56 #245161 by Carlosbeldia
Replied by Carlosbeldia on topic G13BB shutting down
Generator fixed, cmp sensor was damaged so new sensor, timing checked and resistance changed… everything looks perfect now. Good power, very smooth, really nice fuel economy. Battery is done, have been like 6.000 km getting too much voltage.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds