BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Are shock extenders supposed to swivel?

More
30 Aug 2022 12:06 #244786 by Fifo
Hello lads,
I've recently purchased a gen 3 jimny, and the previous owner has fitted it with a 2" lift. He used coil spacers and shock extenders instead of replacing them with longer components. I'm aware that this is not the best lifting solution, I might change them later, but it is staying there for now.
Anyways are the extenders supposed to swivel along the lower bolt, where previously the shocks eyelet was? In my car they seem to be bolted rigid, tried turning them and they didn't bugde.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2022 13:14 #244787 by fordem
Maybe post a picture of what you have - I've seen different styles of shock extender and in most cases you wouldn't want them to swivel at least not after they have been installed.

More
30 Aug 2022 15:19 #244792 by Fifo
Sure thing, here's a picture of the rear shock extenders.

I was actually leading up to this next question. I'm still learning about car mechanics but the alignment of the shocks and extenders doesn't seem too good to me. I wasn't sure whether the extender was supposed to rotate or not, and just happened to end up in that position, or if it was probably installed improperly.

More
30 Aug 2022 15:34 #244795 by fordem
I wouldn't worry too much about the misalignment there - it's caused by the rubber bush in the shock eye flexing. You could probably loosen the bolt and straighten it up, but I suspect it'll just shift itself over again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fifo

More
30 Aug 2022 16:17 #244797 by jackonlyjack
Never had that issue when i had some on mine
I would say loosen the bolt and see if it moves to line up with bottom of shock
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fifo

More
31 Aug 2022 09:52 #244805 by Fifo
I see, thank you for the info. I think I'll try to align but even if it shifts back it is good to know that it's all good.

More
31 Aug 2022 21:31 #244818 by Busta
Shock mount snappers! Check to make sure the bump stops have also been extended appropriately. If not they are well known for snapping the shock mounts off as the suspension bottoms out on the shock rather than the bump stop.
And no, they aren't designed to swivel, but twisting like that is inevitable as the friction of the nut alone is not enough to hold them aligned.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds