BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Alternator belt/water pump question

More
20 Aug 2022 10:51 #244647 by Abudougal
Had a pretty exiting night, the belt had been squealing for a bit and suddenly popped with ten miles to get home and no alternator or water pump.

Managed to nuirse it back without too much overheating and I've got a new belt to put on, it looks pretty tight in there - any handy tips to save the skin on my knuckles a bit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2022 16:35 #244652 by DrRobin
My Jimny spat both belts off almost outside the house, one had been squealing, so I assumed it wasn’t set correctly, I re-fitted both, but didn’t get very far, it turns out that the crankshaft pulley rubber had gone, looks like a weak point on these cars.

It damaged one belt so ordered a new pulley, which arrived with a small bit of damage and two new belts. I had to fit the damaged pulley for a week, then do the job again with the replacement, you get good at it.

To do the pulley you need to take the radiator off, but this is quick and easy, the belts can be done from above and below with the radiator in place, but without the radiator are easier to do.

I would check your pulley to make sure it is okay.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
20 Aug 2022 17:59 #244655 by Abudougal
Thanks I'll check that too, presumably just a case of eyeballing it and seeing if it's a bit squint?

Is it possible to check the pulley without whipping off the rad?

More
21 Aug 2022 07:44 #244660 by DrRobin
You might be able to see if the pulley has gone by looking from below, or you might be able to feel Play in it, but f you put the belts on and tension them you will definitely see the pulley is out of line.

The rad is very easy to remove, 20 min job.

Here is the post from when I did the job.
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...-belts-just-fell-off

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
21 Aug 2022 15:42 #244673 by Busta
You can gain a small amount of extra space by removing the 2 top radiator bolts and tilting the radiator towards the front of the car. But it is easy enough to do with the rad in place. For reference, the alternator bottom bolt that you can't see is an 8mm hex. The power steering tensioner has a 10mm hex hole for tensioning it.

More
21 Aug 2022 17:15 #244674 by mlines
Shine a torch on the lower pulley, in my experience you can clearly see a wobble as its idling

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
21 Aug 2022 17:59 #244675 by Abudougal
Thanks guys, I swapped it over today and it seems to be working fine, letting it run then watching for a wobble was probably a better plan than mine which was slapping a spanner on it and cranking it round with one eye shut.

i got the rad off ok (if you count dumping a load of coolant in your face ok) and the only problem I had was the two lower bolts that hold the plastic shround onto the rad - one sheared and the other had to be drilled out, does anyone have sizes for those and the square bolts they go into so I can get some more?

Took it for a spin up the road and all good - fingers crossed I think I got away with boiling the engine..

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds