BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Underside protection

More
03 Jul 2022 15:37 #243938 by gano54
Underside protection was created by gano54
This is about my JB74 LCV. I am thinking of adding more protection for the parts on the underbody of the car, and I've been looking at these from JimnyBits:  Guards / Protection (jimnybits.com)  . 

I've already ordered the rock sliders and I think I'll eventually get these:
  • Radius arm mounting guards
  • Transfer box guard
  • Fuel filter guard
Am I right in thinking that the radius arm mounts are probably the most vulnerable part? I'm trying to decide what to get first. Also, I don't think I'll get the diff guards, do you guys think those would be necessary? I don't plan to do any serious rock crawling (and I want to avoid adding too much weight).

2022 Jungle Green LCV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jul 2022 16:50 #243939 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Underside protection
On my last gen3 I had at various points every guard except side sliders and in all honesty I think most of them were very debatable in terms of actually being necessary. On my current Jimny I only have a transfer guard. This is twofold, one not having the rest adds lightness and second it's protecting the only really weak trip ending component. Smack the transfer case hard enough and the aluminium mounts break and you are done, smack a radius arm mount and it's bent and needs fixing when you drive home. Equally if you smack a differential hard enough to benefit from a guard you have probably hurt other significant things too that will end your day. From the reports of those who have a gen4 the fuel filter pump thing is the same as the transfer case, weak enough to end the day if not protected.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Jul 2022 08:51 #243942 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Underside protection

On my last gen3 I had at various points every guard except side sliders and in all honesty I think most of them were very debatable in terms of actually being necessary. On my current Jimny I only have a transfer guard. This is twofold, one not having the rest adds lightness and second it's protecting the only really weak trip ending component. Smack the transfer case hard enough and the aluminium mounts break and you are done, smack a radius arm mount and it's bent and needs fixing when you drive home. Equally if you smack a differential hard enough to benefit from a guard you have probably hurt other significant things too that will end your day. From the reports of those who have a gen4 the fuel filter pump thing is the same as the transfer case, weak enough to end the day if not protected.
Lambert, you really need to get out there and start playing a bit harder.

More
04 Jul 2022 08:59 #243943 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Underside protection

This is about my JB74 LCV. I am thinking of adding more protection for the parts on the underbody of the car, and I've been looking at these from JimnyBits:  Guards / Protection (jimnybits.com)  . 

I've already ordered the rock sliders and I think I'll eventually get these:
  • Radius arm mounting guards
  • Transfer box guard
  • Fuel filter guard
Am I right in thinking that the radius arm mounts are probably the most vulnerable part? I'm trying to decide what to get first. Also, I don't think I'll get the diff guards, do you guys think those would be necessary? I don't plan to do any serious rock crawling (and I want to avoid adding too much weight).
Radius arm mounts are definitely the most vulnerable. Do these first.
Next - rock sliders you really don't want to bash the sills.
If you do happen to knock the transfer case hard, it could be expensive, so not a bad idea to protect it.
The "Fuel filter" (actually evap canister, the fuel filter is in the tank) is tucked up out of harm's way, and in my mind a waste of money to protect it. 
I have done some fairly heavy off-roading and in my book diff guards do nothing but lower your ground clearance.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Jul 2022 13:52 #243946 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Underside protection

Lambert, you really need to get out there and start playing a bit harder.

Farming doesn't pay well enough for me to break the primary tool I use to earn my living. I'm obliged to drive the sensible line not the gung-ho one. Car parts unfortunately don't grow on trees!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Jul 2022 16:40 - 04 Jul 2022 16:56 #243949 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Underside protection
How hard you try is one of the factors. If you throw yourself at everything with increasing speed until you get stuck, then I would fit it all. If you are a little more selective in the routes you take and your approach then it's possible to do it without any. Looking at my G3 and predicted use I just went for transfer case guard, primarily to protect those pesky wires. Radius arm mounts I also purchased, but I did not fit them as I just don't like how they attach (mud / rust trap). So I will just risk these, but I don't rock crawl so little chance of any real damage. This is looking at protection for occasional light off road use, primarily on road.
So have a think about just how much your are prepared to "hurt your Jimny", heavy off road use will damage the vehicle with or without guards. 
By comparison my 100% off road Land rover has nothing, I just pick my routes carefully, so far no damage, just a bit of paint missing on the tow hitch. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 04 Jul 2022 16:56 by Scimike.

More
06 Jul 2022 15:07 - 06 Jul 2022 15:07 #243962 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Underside protection
I just fitted the transfer box guard. I didn't like how low the transfer box sits, and being an auto, there is going to be very little chance of finding one second hand.

Tip 1: you can easily fit the guard without jacks or effort with a couple of zip ties to hold up the bolt end, then just lift the stud end with one hand and pop the nuts on with the other.

Tip 2: the transfer guard reflects a lot of noise back up into the car, I put a pad of closed cell foam underbonnet insulation on mine to absorb some of the noise.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 06 Jul 2022 15:07 by facade.

More
10 Jul 2022 16:48 #244034 by gano54
Replied by gano54 on topic Underside protection
Thank you very much for your input guys!

2022 Jungle Green LCV

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds