BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen 4 remote locking fob- how to synchronise?

More
28 Jun 2022 12:08 #243875 by facade
Background anecdote: With an hour before the Jimny was due to be collected for its service I took all my personal effects out, put the service book on the seat, removed the disklok and shut the door.
Pressed the button to lock the car- and nothing happened!!!!!!!

No problem, I have the spare key. Except that wont work either, I assume after 3 years in the safe it is out of sync with the car.

How do I get it working? I have a vague recollection of holding down one of the buttons on the Nissan until it got the idea, but there is nothing in the handbook about it.

I changed the battery in the original fob, there was a spare 1616 in the drawer- I must have thought ahead.
The battery in the spare fob reads 3.3V so it isn't a dead battery.

There is some hellish procedure on t'interweb to program a suzuki with a new remote, which seems to differ by car, but I'm fairly sure it worked when I first had it 3 years ago, and it is just out of sync.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2022 14:29 #243883 by facade
Replying to my own post.

Turns out those CR1616 batteries really are useless, The battery measures 3.3V allright when it isn't connected to anything, but even a tiny load brings it down to 1.5V.
Another new battery got it working no need for any synchronisation.

Why they couldn't just have used a 2032 with 4 times the capacity I don't know.

Looks like the battery depletes in storage. Maybe I ought to dismantle the spare fob and keep the battery out of circuit, it will only take an hour and 5 minutes to put it back together if I need it. (5 minutes to put it back together and an hour to find a screwdriver that fits)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds