BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Stereo Woes

More
19 May 2022 07:41 #243358 by spookyandroid
Stereo Woes was created by spookyandroid
Hi everyone - new Jimny owner here. 

Bought a 54' online from a garage, knew it needed a bit of TLC but the list is growing by the day. Don't think id have bought it if this was the case.

So far:
Front DS kingpins - done
Front discs and pads - done, fitted new calipers for measure too.
Replaced interior due to a distinct weed smell - didnt know this til i picked it up - done
Fix 4WD system - not done
Fix lumpy idle - done
and much nore anyways decided I wanted a decent head unit in there, as the existing one was basic albeit, it worked.

I have tried 3 different double din head units, all suffering from the same issue, working, but no audio. The old Sony single din head unit works without issue.

After trying two crappy chinese android head units, i decided they must just be garbage and bought a double din Sony HU, thinking atleast it will be compatible. Nothing, no audio. 

After much tinkering, if I connect the blue and white "ATT" wire to the red "ACC" wire, I can get audio, but only when I've put the key into ACC and then turned it back to "OFF".

As stated, the previous Sony head unit works without any issue, and only works when the ignition is on. So I dont think its the ignition barrell. 

Any insight into this mystery would be very much appreciated.

Danny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 May 2022 09:13 #243359 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Stereo Woes
Welcome to the forum. From memory blue and white is usually illumination yellow and black is usually attenuation of mute. Either way a Sony should be wired to ISO standard plugs power and output. So it should be possible to either get an adaptor to the Jimny if it's still got it's factory plug or if not then to reverse isolate the existing wires to their corresponding ISO standard positions. Would you be able to post a picture of the wiring in the dashboard?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 May 2022 09:40 - 19 May 2022 09:45 #243361 by spookyandroid
Replied by spookyandroid on topic Stereo Woes
Thanks for the reply Lambert.

I'm normally OK at this sort of thing, but I must admit it's got me stumped. I thought the black cable was the ground though?

Here are some photos, Tried my best to photo each section as clearly as possible. This is the head unit that is working, if you want pics of different adaptors lemme know.

Thanks,

Danny

Last edit: 19 May 2022 09:45 by spookyandroid.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 May 2022 11:15 #243363 by Lambert
Ok first thing it's not being butchered which is a good thing. What this means is that you can now look up the correct colour and position diagram and work from there. Unfortunately I am at work and even then I don't have a diagram to forward. The only thing I can see is that it looks like someone has patched in a switching feed for an amplifier other than that it's just a matter of confirmation of wire position to function with a multimeter.

The following user(s) said Thank You: spookyandroid

More
19 May 2022 11:48 #243364 by spookyandroid
By switching feed, is that the blue cable coming from the cig lighter into the cable higher up?

It's a little over my head really, is the next port of call an auto electrician?

More
19 May 2022 12:42 #243365 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Stereo Woes
When I fitted my Android head unit, one of the wires on a 2011 Jimny was in the wrong place. I have forgotten which one, but it was an important one.

Which head unit are you now trying to fit? If you have a model number or better still a wiring diagram I can check to see if the ISO plug matches the Jimny.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
19 May 2022 13:17 #243367 by spookyandroid
Ah this may be the same thing then. albeit mines a 54 plate.

Sony XAV-AX3250 is the latest one im trying to get working.

Thanks,

D

More
19 May 2022 14:53 #243369 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Stereo Woes
The 20 pin connector on the back of the head unit doesn't seem to follow a standard, at least different manufacturer's use a different pin out. The cable assembly that goes to the DIN plug is meant to be standard at the DIN plug, but my Jimny was wired incorrectly on the DIN plug.

Either the 'Light Control' (Dimmer) or the ACC+ was in the wrong place.

ACC+ would stop the whole head unit from turning on, the light control would just stop the unit from dimming.

If the head unit powers up but no audio then it suggests either the speakers are in the wrong place (unlikely) or the unit is muted. The only thing I can think of that would mute the Sony is the 'reverse in'.

I found a wiring diagram for the Sony, but it doesn't show pin numbers on the DIN connector, just colours.  I can't seem to find the Jimny wiring just at the moment.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
20 May 2022 05:35 #243373 by spookyandroid
Thanks Robin. I'll take another look today.

I think the most confusing thing here for me is having 1 working Sony HU and one not. I have checked the harnesses to see if there's a difference or crossover but there isn't.

Do you think it's worth buying a new ISO adaptor and of so is there one anyone recommends?

More
20 May 2022 09:30 #243375 by spookyandroid
So found this elsewhere on the forum. Anyone know the accuracy and if so, what I need to do here?

More
20 May 2022 09:41 #243376 by spookyandroid
Scrap that, its for Gen4. Doesnt match.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 May 2022 10:26 #243377 by Lambert
How desperate are you? Can you wait till tomorrow morning when I can take my Sony out of my 2018 and compare?

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds