BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Brand new jimny tweaking

More
26 Apr 2022 10:03 #243163 by Old Neil
My brother just bought a brand new jimny, we live in Western Australia, were they live is at the end of a uphill corrugated gravel road and it doesn't handle it as well as they hoped
Is any suggestions how to improve the ride, tyre pressure, different shock absorbers, different tyres
Thanks Neil

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2022 10:17 - 26 Apr 2022 10:24 #243164 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Brand new jimny tweaking
Hi,
Start with the tyre pressure.
They are usually over inflated for such a light vehicle, should be down around 23 - 26PSI, not 100% sure for Gen4, but its in the manual.
Adding a little weight in the back can help, after that its over to suspension or damper changes. You can get adjustable dampers, but as the lenght is matched to the springs you need to decide if you are staying standard length or want a moderate lift. Best see if you can get a ride in a suspension modified vehicle to see if a suspension change will achieve what you want. Suspension changes and the perceived improvement are very difficult to quantify, its a personal thing, what's good for one may be worse for another.
Others on here have more experience than me on these mods, they will be along soon.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 26 Apr 2022 10:24 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Neil

More
26 Apr 2022 10:29 #243165 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Brand new jimny tweaking
Not sure you'll be able to drop the pressures. On EU models they have TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring). And it will trigger an alarm on the dash and beep at you constantly.

As for the handling, it depends what you mean. The Jimny is a short wheel base vehicle, so will always be more sensitive to pitching. No way to get around this unless you stretch it to a longer wheelbase.

That said, I feel the suspension is ok for normal road use. But is hard off road... Probably over sprung and under damped. I'd suspect the most impacting 'fix' will be a quality aftermarket suspension kit like the Old Man Emu one.

Apart from that.... drive slower :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Apr 2022 11:45 #243166 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Brand new jimny tweaking
It's a sad indictment of modern garage facilities that in spite of it being there in black and white in the owners manual most places insist on putting 30 plus psi in tyres regardless. As mentioned above this is far too hard for a Jimny and makes the ride horrible.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
27 Apr 2022 15:48 #243176 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Brand new jimny tweaking
Mine came with 42psi in the tyres.

l bought it from the first owner and they'd done 1,400 miles without checking the tyre pressure, the dealer must have delivered it like that.

l lowered the pressures to 26psi all round and it did make a considerable improvement to the ride quality.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds