BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front wheel bearing leaking gunk

More
17 Apr 2022 16:10 #242943 by Sirjamesrusty
Hello - while I was examining how hard my Antirollbar drop links were going to be to remove with a spanner I also noticed a lot of oil and gunk around the ball joint on the right front wheel - I then started reading up on KingPin bearing failure etc - does this photo look like something needs replacing - how much does something like this cost and is it best to do both wheels at the same time ?? It wasn’t flagged up in my recent MOT fail. 

Thanks 

I'm starting my Jimny experience as a complete novice on a 2008 Jimny VVTS...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2022 16:40 - 17 Apr 2022 16:52 #242944 by Scimike
Your swivel seal is shot, that's probably letting the grease escape from the swivel, especially if it's letting in water. You may have a small amount of axle oil escaping, but I've seen far worse. So it's probably not showing as an MOT issue at the moment, but it's also likely that the kingpin bearings are rusty.
Its a leave it be situation until it fails the MOT or you get steering wobble, or fix it now because you want. I would expect it will require swivel seal, axle seal and the bearings.

Cost wise the full kit of parts is about £50 per side, and two hours of your time if you've never changed one before. Easy enough job and good YouTube video on how to do the job.
Its not essential to do both sides at the same time. I removed the rust on the swivels to improve the new swivel seal performance, this requires a  repaint and more time. Plenty don't "de rust" the swivel, in this instance I agreed there is little point fitting new swivel seals. 
It's a personal preference sort of thing.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 17 Apr 2022 16:52 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sirjamesrusty

More
17 Apr 2022 21:23 #242955 by Sirjamesrusty
Ahhh thanks for getting back so quick. Ok, I think I might try get these sorted sooner rather than later. I'm attempting to get the Jimny as roadworthy as i can afford to for the summer so we can camp/travel etc. When you get a spare moment could you post any pics of the stuff i'd need as I'm pretty new so still learning what all this gear is and looks like. My first pat on my own shoulder was that I was underneath the thing and actually found the drop bar links and noticed the gunk/leak so thats one thing I've learned!! - I'll watch that YouTube video too as a start. Cheers!

I'm starting my Jimny experience as a complete novice on a 2008 Jimny VVTS...

More
17 Apr 2022 21:51 - 17 Apr 2022 21:58 #242956 by Scimike
Martin sells the parts in the Shop. I've used them, best quality, perfect fit. No link in any way other than happy customer.
Here is a link.
www.bigjimny.com/store/kingpin-bearing-w...it-premium-koyo.html
Here is his video "how to", watched lots myself before I did the job, this is the best.

IF you want to paint / refurbish the swivel surface I recommend POR-15 paint. Did mine many miles ago and the finish is still perfect, so fully tested product. It's not cheap and it turns a 2 HR job into a 2 day job, so it's down to your wants or needs. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 17 Apr 2022 21:58 by Scimike.

More
18 Apr 2022 08:33 #242967 by DrRobin
I did mine last year, it was straight forward, but took a while everything was seized. I did them one at a time as I could only feel Play in one side, but both needed doing.

Both of my ABS bolts sheared off despite soaking in oil, but they are very easy to drill out from the outside and replace with new if your car has ABS.

Another tip get new bolts for the swivel seal, they only cost a pound or so and I rounded a couple of mine.

One of my disc brake bolts was excessively tight and needed a good socket and long bar to get it off. I also had to drill a couple of split pins out on the steering rod ends, but pretty much what happens when you take something like this apart.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds