BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine lights, anti theft lights flashing at the same time, car stops

More
15 Apr 2022 19:56 #242919 by Moisha
Hello. I was driving yesterday, and suddenly, after 4 minutes of driving the engine lights and the anti-theft lights started flashing at the same time, the car started to shake, and at the same time the revolutions per miler were acting like crazy, like going up and down and after that, the car just stopped. it happened a couple of times.
Someone from here had the same experience? I want to buy a diagnosis scan, but as I have a March 2001 Jimny I don't know if will work?
Thanks for your help :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2022 22:09 #242920 by Scimike
It sounds like a broken or failing earth wire or bond, my reasoning at this time is too many things happening all at the same time, so you need a common failure. First step is to source some circuit diagrams and check the earth wires. Second step is ask the ECU what's up (if you can), random problems also backs up earth issues.
I can't help on Circuit diagrams or if the early Jimny can be scanned, but someone can I am sure.
Early days and just an educated guess at this stage, but you need to start somewhere.
​​​​​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moisha

More
16 Apr 2022 03:14 #242922 by yakuza
Hi! Yes a diagnose should work. However it sounds a bit like when my dash cluster was broken. The coms between the Immobilizer (theft light on dash) and the ECU and cluster was damaged from an idiot disconnecting the china made obd2 interface while the engine was running.
Could also be a sensor failing.
But first like Scimike said.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moisha

More
16 Apr 2022 09:27 #242924 by Moisha
Thank you!! I’m trying to understand everything ❤️ I will read it properly later. English is not my first language and honestly I’m a bit( a lot) lost with mechanical words. Do you think I will be able to do it by my own? Thank youuu

More
16 Apr 2022 09:36 #242925 by Moisha
Do you think it can be as well the battery or the crank or cam sensor? Just sooo confused. Never happened to me. And my garage is so far away from my house. I will try to read a scan today. But honestly not sure if will work on my car. Let’s pray

More
16 Apr 2022 16:18 #242928 by Scimike
I think at the moment it could be anything.
RE battery you can check it if you have a multimeter, should be more than 12.4 engine off (no lights), 14v with engine running.
Hope the scan works.
If you have any more information just post it, everyone will try and help if they have a suggestion.
Good luckM

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
16 Apr 2022 18:24 #242931 by Moisha
It was impossible to scan. I checked the cables and they look okeish to me. So I have no clue. I will possibly make an appointment next week and let’s see what happens! I will post for sure the diagnostic so if happens to someone else they will have an answer from my situation:)

More
21 Apr 2022 18:58 #243041 by Moisha
I went to the garage today, they have no clue what it can be. One thing I realized is that the coolant nearly disappeared, and was nearly empty. Also, my car doesn't start at all now, I needed to leave it on the street. I will try to move it tomorrow, in case that really needs to cool down, but doesn't look that is gonna do it. The mechanic said all pieces seem ok, nothing is broken. and they cannot read anything on the scan, the only solution is to take it to Suzuki and check it there. But honestly, I don't have £120 to take it there and back, to just see if they can fix it, and possibly spending a lot of money, as I think it can be an engine problem and is a 20yo car, so don't know if is worth it. Right now I'm just really sad because I don't want to scrap it, Just paid loads f money for it. but at the same time, I don't want to spend more, And I don't want to sell it for parts as I don't know how to do that also don't want to have it on the mini drive away for a year selling the parts, also don't know if someone will buy it as it is. So completely lost and hopeless, and mad because I don't know whats the problem. What will you do?

More
23 Apr 2022 07:11 - 23 Apr 2022 07:15 #243076 by Scimike
Tough question to answer.
What can be done depends upon ability, spare cash, parts availability and your history with the vehicle.
Coolant level low could be another issue, or it's just lack of maintenance and you have only just noticed. Not starting, assuming the engine is turning over, can be an issue with the immobiliser. This could be related to your initial "everything flashing" problem, again it's likely to be electrical, but difficult for us to offer remote diagnostic help.
You need to determine how much you want to spend / can spend fixing this and how much help you can get for your money if you are unable to do the work yourself. If it's not a lot of help then it could be time to say goodbye to your Jimny.
Still sounds electrical to me, possible ECU / Immobiliser / broken wire, now with possible coolant leak which is usually the head gasket if you can't see fluid on the floor. But then it could be a simple broken cable!
Good luck with it, you can always post questions here if you decide to have a go yourself. Do you know anyone local to you who can help you?? (i.e car enthusiasts), a second set of eyes is always a good start.

Last edit: 23 Apr 2022 07:15 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds