BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

15" versus 16"

More
30 Nov 2010 20:39 #6854 by Millduu
15" versus 16" was created by Millduu
Just a bit of info for anyone looking for that extra clearance from putting bigger wheels on.
My cousin is running grand vitara 16" steels with 205/80/16 insa turbo special tracks and these measure 29" total diameter.
I've just fitted 235/75/15 malatesta kaimen's (special track pattern) to my 7 x 15 modula's and these measure 29" total diameter.
I looked for a while to get a set of grand vitara steels but for the money the pull on ebay I was a bit reluctant to fork out over £100 for 4 rusting steel wheels.
So I changed from 235/75/15 maxxis trepadors to these and even though they're the same size they stand over 1" taller.
So just another option to get the same clearance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2010 21:49 #6861 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: 15" versus 16"
215rx15's 29.5" tall. :) with diamond back remoulds, they are closer to 31" tall !!

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
01 Dec 2010 12:12 #6879 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: 15" versus 16"
This is part of my wheel tyres dilemma as I want the kaiman/special track tread pattern but no arch mods and no smaller than my 205/80/16 kl71s so I'm thinking of abandoning the 16" idea and going for 215/80/15 kaimans.

It's only malatesta and fedima that do this pattern in this size and fedima are £20 more expensive each so I'm thinking kaimans.

You're right about the vit wheels. You can get a nice set of modulars for £125 delivered. Do a wheel tyre deal and it gets cheaper!

If your going for mega big I think 16's are handier. The vit wheels don't keep themselves clean easily though as they only have small drain holes around the time and their design clogs and holds mud more for some reason.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• mkay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2010 16:16 #6893 by mkay
Replied by mkay on topic Re: 15" versus 16"
i got a set of GV 16's for £46 of ebay, so dont give up they can be found for sensible money (without tyres, which you wouldnt want anyway) and they were in good/very good nick.

iv just put nokian wrg2 suv's on them was round at a friends and from standing starts in the snow with foot fully down it refuses to spin just zooms off, traction is immence. only quible is that in 2wd on sheet ice she gets a little tail twitchey.

More
06 Dec 2010 05:52 #7107 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: 15" versus 16"
I did get a nice conditioned set of 4 GV wheels for £60.00 off difflock so as has been said - if you persevere they are out there - but most people do want silly money.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds