BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Trimming Wheel Arches

More
20 Jan 2022 20:52 #241330 by tomlil01
Hi,

I've just raised my 2005 Jimny (50mm), and I'm planning to fit BFG 235/75/R15 MT tyres shortly.

Can anyone who has done the same offer any advice on what needs to be trimmed to accommodate the larger tyres?

ThanksLee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2022 06:29 #241339 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Trimming Wheel Arches
Depends on how much you lift, your wheel offset, and how much rub you tolerate.
My 05 has 2" trailmaster and 235 on the original alloys. I have no mudflaps. Just trimmed the bumpers plastic edge in front of the front wheel slightly.
The rest of the rubbing I can live with.

With a different wheel offset there would be lots more rubbing but with this exact size it Just clears most of the time.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomlil01

More
21 Jan 2022 06:42 #241341 by tomlil01
Replied by tomlil01 on topic Trimming Wheel Arches
I'm using the standard alloys too, and I think we have the exact same car (2005 VVT), so guess the offset will be the same unless you have spacers?

What is the rubbing you can live with - mainly on or off road? What situation? Would you need to trim a lot more to get no rubbing?

By the way, I have got the 87/17 High-low gears being installed in a couple of weeks. Do you find they keep the car good on-road with the 235s? I assume the low ratio is much improved?

Thanks
Lee

More
21 Jan 2022 11:45 - 21 Jan 2022 11:47 #241356 by yakuza
On reverse, almost full turn, and in flex. the front wheel outer corner rubs the lower corner of the front bumper. can be cut a very minor bit. You will see the rubbing there after driving a bit.

On full in flex the inside of the rear wheel rubs the inside of the wheel well. Never had the wheel lock or the paint rub off from it, only the noise.

Mine has the stabilizer rod in place still. (whatsitcalled?)

The 87/17 suits the car ok on 235. Especially with the m13a still in it. With m16 and lots of highway I might recommend not using the 17 on the high range, but mostly because the noise from the gears is loud and bothers me more than the lack of power would have I guess.
Still would not remove it now it is in there.

Be careful with the three balls and the sync ring.
I did some writing on the transfer Job somewhere in here maybe in my jimny section.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2022 11:47 by yakuza.

More
21 Jan 2022 11:55 #241357 by yakuza
We got this tunnel here under a fjord. Minus 287m deep on 7km so steep hill down and up from the bottom.
Before the gear change and with a constricted cat I could do 80kmh about 50mph up hill in third gear. Now with an open cat and 17% gears I pass 120kmh 75mph in fifth and all the other cars. :)

More
21 Jan 2022 17:57 #241368 by tomlil01
Thanks a lot for the info.

So, the only bit you trimmed was here?

I guess I need to remove my mudguards before putting on the new tyres?

Cheers,
Lee
Attachments:

More
22 Jan 2022 16:33 #241407 by yakuza
Yes just there where the bumpers swing in at the bottom. Trimmed the inner plastic fender bit that pokes out. Still rubs but does no damage or anything so I just live with it.

Mudflaps must go or be trimmed. I never had them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tomlil01

More
25 Jan 2022 10:26 #241479 by tomlil01
Hi, Yakuza,

You mentioned that you didn't disconnect your sway bar/anti-roll bar.

Do you think you would have problems if you did disconnect it (with the 235s and just minimal trimming)? I was planning to get a disconnectable sway bar after I fit the 235s.

If I can't have both (without a lot of trimming), I am wondering whether being able to disconnect the sway bar would be of more use when offroad than fitting the 235s (e.g.- if I just got 215/75s).

Lee

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds