BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Oil Leak back of Engine - Cam sensor? What is the Cause?

More
17 Jan 2022 12:04 #241258 by Derksen
Hi everyone!

Today I noticed a few drops of oil on the floor of my garage, so I checked the underside of the engine for any oil leaks...and I found some. Please check the pictures for the whole overview. So I traced the 'main' oil leaks to two places: What I assume to be the Cam sensor and another place which I don't recognize.

Coolant fluid also seems to be leaking out from under the cam sensor or roughly that area, mixing in with the oil and forming small puddles in the nooks and crannies on top of the gearbox.

Now when I reverse into my garage, I drive over a little bump which rocks the whole car and I suspect that the coolant-oil mixture spills over at that time and slowly drips down the gearbox onto the floor, hence the oil stain on the floor.

My question, could you help me identify the origin of these oil leaks (maybe the Cam sensor and some other parts) and give me an indication of the urgency in replacing these parts?

Thanks in advance!

Hilmar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2022 16:50 - 18 Jan 2022 16:52 #241286 by Scimike
It can be difficult to locate the source of an oil leak that’s been present for some time, its surprising just how far a little oil can travel.

Firstly, I don’t think you need to panic, so long as your vehicle is not losing a vast amount, the odd drip on the floor nothing at requires immediate action.
I can’t suggest a particular source for the leak in any certainty, anything with a gasket or O-ring around this area could be the cause.
My first action would be to clean the area or engine with de-greaser and dry it, then wipe around any suspect items with paper tissue until they are clean. Then run the engine, let it cool and wipe around again. The paper tissue will highlight very quickly any new sources of oil or coolant, start high on the engine and work your way down until you find the leak.

The only other way is to start changing gaskets and O-rings until it stops. As I said you don’t need to panic over the odd drip. 

As a Land Rover owner multiple drips are classed as “oil tight”, Exxon Veldez slick is normal.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 18 Jan 2022 16:52 by Scimike.

More
20 Jan 2022 18:54 #241323 by yakuza
Typical G13 leak. been leaking there since 1985 :)
My SJ413's all leaked there where the distributor was and now the more recent g13's, the cam sensor. Cheap O-ring from Suzuki will fix.
Also just to dismantle and put silicone gasket compound could also do the trick, did that to a G16 i swapped on a mates Jimny.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds