BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front prop axle boot grease?

• Kats
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2021 21:36 - 30 Nov 2021 21:48 #240413 by Kats
Front prop axle boot grease? was created by Kats
Hello everyone!
I replaced the front prop axle boot today (going from the transfer to the front diff), and i was wondering what type of grease is should put there, how much and from were should i apply it.
Right now i just supercleaned the old grease and added new cv joint grease on the splines by hand.
After i was done i was reading the manual and i found out that it says to put Chassis Grease 99000-25030 which i guess i can find at the dealership. Is it that important to put that specifc grease? or should i just let it be with the cv joint grease and it will be fine?

Also i found two different sections that refers on how to lubricate that part and i noticed that one of those, points out the grease nipple which am not sure if its for the splines or the universal joints, which i did not use to put the grease so far. I just filled it by hand and applied grease on the splines and then assemble the whole thing back toghether with propper marks and alignment.
Should i just clean it again, get the propper grease and use a grease gun on the grease nipple to fill it up instead of putting grease by hand from scratch? and if so how much grease should i put? When do i know its enougth?
I think am getting paranoid over small things but i would like to get it done properly since its kinda simple and i have time to do it.
I am adding some pics of the manual and the axle boot to make it clearer what i mean.
First link is the manual and second is the boot on the propshaft i replaced ( pic is before i replace it ) . Is the green arrow in the pic the grease nipple for the splines or for the universal joints?? 
ibb.co/yhwPx2r  
ibb.co/cLDBY0C
Thank you so much!
Last edit: 30 Nov 2021 21:48 by Kats. Reason: make it more clear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Dec 2021 04:22 #240416 by Lambert
Wrong or right I just use normal cheap general purpose grease that I have on the farm for the tractor and stuff applied via the gun fittings, never seems to be a problem.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kats

More
01 Dec 2021 09:21 #240417 by Roger Fairclough
Grease nipple 3 is for the splines. Once you have assembled the sliding joint, add 3 squirts from your grease gun. Don't overfill the unit. The rubber boot must not be full of grease. Also, before you fit the grease gun in place, clean the nipple!

Roger

More
01 Dec 2021 11:40 #240422 by LesNewell
Putting in grease by hand when you assemble it is fine. CV grease or general purpose grease will be fine on the splines. Don't use CV grease on the UJ.

• Kats
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2021 13:46 #240427 by Kats
Replied by Kats on topic Front prop axle boot grease?
Okay! If i have some time i will redo it to make sure i have the right amount of grease and have the nipple cleaned as well! Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds