BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Two 4x4s and no go with lots of snow!

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2021 17:44 #240356 by Sean65
Well, I don't know about the rest of you but we had loads of snow this morning which was just begging to be driven in. Landy off the road waiting for a new chassis and the Jimny, I bought back in May, still on the drive trying to fathom what the noise is it makes from the rear when driving. I am at a loss. I replaced the wheel bearing i thought it may be but no change at all. When driven slowly up and down the drive it seems to only happen in one place and only when under load so jacking up and rotating the wheel makes no sound at all. Any thoughts would be appreciated. The idea was to be a stand in for the Landy in the winter and the  first time we have snow.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2021 18:45 #240358 by Scimike
We had snow, it melted before I sank the first coffee of the of the day!
It will be back.
What's the noise, knocking, buzzing, grinding etc, and why did you think it was the bearing?
Noises at the rear always travel, that means it's never the thing you suspect. 
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2021 12:59 #240361 by Sean65
Replied by Sean65 on topic Two 4x4s and no go with lots of snow!
It's an odd one. A sort of grind and rumble but it's almost like as it moves to a particular point, as if it was a wheel out of shape. Me and mate have both listened inside and out whilst driving and can't identify it. It's weird!! It's not like we don't know live axles but I concede your point. It reminds me of the old days when you thought poor starting was fuel but usually electric and vice versa.

More
28 Nov 2021 13:15 #240362 by Scimike
That is an odd one. Just thinking outside the box, possible tyre problem? Try swapping the tyres over and see it the noise swaps sides.
I spent months trying to stop a left rear door knock, it turned out to be the exhaust! Tapping the tow bar on the far right.
Currently have a light knock that comes and goes, left side. So far it's evading location, but left spring is the current contender. Snow and cold weather has halted my search. 
Good luck with yours.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Nov 2021 14:11 #240363 by Lambert
Have you checked the propshaft joints for excessive wear?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2021 19:03 #240372 by Sean65
I have. No obvious play. Drove up the road and heads turning at the noise. Not good

More
28 Nov 2021 21:12 #240377 by facade
Have you checked the front?

My old Jimny had a noise from the back axle. Definitely the back axle. Sitting in the back it was miles louder and still coming from behind.

I fitted new rear wheel bearings- no change
I swapped the diff out- no change.
New propshaft spider- no change

I gave up.

A few weeks later the brake pedal started going to the floor, but would pump up. A front wheelbearing had collapsed, and the wobbly disc was pushing the pads right off using up the pedal travel to clamp the disc again.

Fitted the new bearing, and the noise from the back went.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
28 Nov 2021 21:27 #240379 by LesNewell
Maybe a bent rear brake backplate or a stone trapped in there?

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2021 07:50 - 29 Nov 2021 09:05 #240381 by Sean65
Backplates seem fine. I have had the brakes apart. I like the idea of back to front noise transmission. When the snow goes maybe i will jack up the front.
Thanks for the answers thus far.
It almost needs somebody walking beside as i drive up the road.

was you noise constant or just in one place as the wheels rotated as a matter of interest? 
Last edit: 29 Nov 2021 09:05 by Sean65.

More
29 Nov 2021 16:36 #240394 by maverick
Get ALL 4 wheels off the ground - aka put it on Jack Stands, put it into Low box and 1st gear. and get all 4 wheels rotating.

The ONLY way to check a UJ is to get the Propshaft OFF and feel the play.

I'd remove both rear half shafts and get the Diff out and check that Crown and Pinion has no teeth removed. Removing Diff's will also allow to you check shafts and Brakes.

Jalapeño, IISY?

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2021 19:29 #240397 by Sean65
That’s a plan with all four wheel up at the same time. I fear you maybe right. I may have to bite the bullet and pull the half shaft. Perhaps an inspection of the diff oil. It should indicate something. .

More
29 Nov 2021 19:40 #240399 by LesNewell

was you noise constant or just in one place as the wheels rotated as a matter of interest? 

I've had stones jammed in the backplate on drum braked vehicles a couple of times. It is generally a grinding noise that is either constant or pulsing as the wheel rotates. My trials car was particularly prone to this until I fitted discs all round.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds