BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Will fitting rear freewheel hubs to my Gen 4 Jimny allow me to flat tow the vehicle

More
13 Nov 2021 20:59 #240082 by mlines
I see what you are saying but the duty cycle of forward drive to reverse/engine braking is much higher in favour of forward drive. Reverse and engine braking are low energy and less frequent.

But as I said I have no evidence it is true, was just told it

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2021 08:10 #240088 by lookonimages
it is not the diffs that is the issue. the SA 4x4 forum has discussed this many many times. it is transfer case that can be the problem. Both transfer case and main gearbox back driven in neutral can be damaged due to lack of lubrication.

only real way to limit damage is to take off prop shaftt.

free floating will not adress the issue, of flat towing. this issue only started really with gen 3.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Nov 2021 08:19 #240089 by Lambert
This is why I would sooner use a trailer than flat tow, it also means having a meaningful braking system instead of having to bodge the vehicle brakes and also having to custom build some kind of A frame. A trailer is just simpler.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Nov 2021 09:34 - 14 Nov 2021 09:37 #240092 by Roger Fairclough
I fully agree that "bodging" the braking system is a big no-no in any situation but surely you need to know how a person set up the system before a claim can be made that it was bodged ?

Roger
Last edit: 14 Nov 2021 09:37 by Roger Fairclough.

More
14 Nov 2021 09:42 #240093 by Roger Fairclough
If you turn the half shaft from a wheel you turn the diff. and that churns up the oil and everything gets lubricated. Why then if you turn the propshaft which turns the T-box will you have a problem re: lubrication as the gears in the box will be churning around in oil?
Ditto the main box, manual of course.

Roger.

More
14 Nov 2021 09:58 #240094 by mlines
I would assume that the gear rotation along with the case casting are designed to pickup and splash oil around in the forward direction of motion and not the reverse direction of motion. There are certainly casting shapes around the gears where they fit into the case

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
14 Nov 2021 10:23 - 14 Nov 2021 10:24 #240096 by facade

I would assume that the gear rotation along with the case casting are designed to pickup and splash oil around in the forward direction of motion and not the reverse direction of motion. There are certainly casting shapes around the gears where they fit into the case

True, but the gears are all still turning forwards when the car goes forwards. I like your idea that they couldn't be bothered hardening the diff teeth properly and they wear more on the overrun faces though. :)

I still think it is the gearbox. When the engine is stopped, all the gears are standing still and there is nothing to splash oil around, which doesn't matter for most of the stationary bearings, but the rear bearing is turning, and the main shaft is turning inside the stationary gears wearing out the bushes.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 14 Nov 2021 10:24 by facade.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Nov 2021 11:30 #240098 by Lambert

I fully agree that "bodging" the braking system is a big no-no in any situation but surely you need to know how a person set up the system before a claim can be made that it was bodged ?

Roger

I'm not saying anything has been bodged simple because the initial post is asking for advice before the fact not after it, wanting to flat tow not actually currently flat towing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Nov 2021 11:58 #240100 by Roger Fairclough
Facade has got a point here. Looking at a view of the manual box, the mainshaft is split into 2 and the 5th gear synchro is the join point. This means that the output shaft will be turning but the rest of the gears and shafts will be stationary. This is probably why Suzuki allow short distance "get you home" towing but nothing else. On my SJ the T.box had a neutral so it was easy to isolate the main box. Maybe the later box was a retrograde step.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds