BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Oh dear , everytime I go away!

More
09 Oct 2021 17:23 #239250 by Fossie
while in France my phone rang ....never a good thing and in general means one thing , this wasn't any different
Daughter ." Selected 4wd to go down the track , but now the lever is sloppy and there's a metal squealing sound, so I've parked it up and using the spare jimny" ( advanced planning)   "Any ideas ? " 

To be fair only by reading these pages had I an inkling...." Transfer box mounts I said with assured confidence (  blagging)"
Got home today 30 seconds to diagnose I was correct.     

Question ...is the transfer box goosed , along with prop shaft or can it be just a case of new mounts and a sleeve/ cover?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Oct 2021 17:35 #239251 by Lambert
Oops. If it wasn't driven far you might get away with just new mounts.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Oct 2021 18:02 #239253 by Scimike
As you need new mounts that's the place to start. Throw some new on and see if you have any other issues, no point making work (and cost) for yourself. Hopefully that's all you need.

As an aside anyone know why they break? Are they susceptible to damage or just weak and fail in general use?

Only interested as I tow a lot so put a lot of strain on the transmission. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Oct 2021 18:40 #239255 by Lambert
My understanding is impact is the greatest concern rather than torque applied. It needn't be a full at the moment break, it can be a fracture that progresses over time.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
09 Oct 2021 20:20 #239258 by Scimike
I guess that's a good reason to fit a guard then, not just to protect those electrical cables. It looks like an old fracture in the photo to me, upper right appears to have the same colour as the outer casting, rather than a new break. Could be just a trick of the light in the photo.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
09 Oct 2021 21:55 #239260 by Roger Fairclough
From memory the SJ gen.2 used a pressed steel plate. Would that style of mounting fit the gen 3/4?

Roger

More
17 Oct 2021 21:25 - 17 Oct 2021 21:27 #239486 by Fossie
It seems it must have been broken for a while ..but to be honest the design is flawed , the end of the bracket where the bush is bolted to must be remarkably thin to has disappeared to this extent.

The replacement heavy duty brackets haven't arrived so at the moment a couple of 1 ton L/R  jacks are holding the transfer box in place .
 The bushes turned up next day ..cheers zookbob.
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Oct 2021 21:27 by Fossie.

More
19 Oct 2021 13:01 - 19 Oct 2021 13:02 #239517 by facade
Why I think they break is that corrosion forms between the steel flange on the mounting rubber and the alloy mount and keeps growing, as aluminium oxide has a greater volume than plain aluminium. The strain this causes cracks the alloy, then the whole thing snaps when it gets off road shocks.

Rather like how water freezing in a crack shatters rocks.

On my gen 3 it was so bad that the steel flanges were bent.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 19 Oct 2021 13:02 by facade.

More
19 Oct 2021 15:12 #239518 by Roger Fairclough
I made a comment on the 9th Oct. about the steel bracket from a Gen.2.

So far no comment !!!

Roger

More
19 Oct 2021 16:42 #239523 by Scimike
I can see corrosion being the issue, steel on monkey metal is never a good combination. Same thing happens to washing machine spiders (Google it), they fail in exactly the same way if you keep it long enough. That said it's a fairly cheap part even from Suzuki at £52 quid, surprised at that.

It's potentially cheaper than changing the spark plugs, so consider it a consumable part and just be amazed it's lasted that long. 

More
19 Oct 2021 22:40 #239525 by Fossie
Scimike, I have to agree the price of the OEM replacement was / is reasonable / cheapish  and yes corrosion is to blame here ...but in honesty  the car is 16 years old and that's 16 winters 
 The replacement brackets are here now and at £70 for both sides reasonable . 

Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2021 22:02 - 30 Oct 2021 22:06 #239754 by Fossie
Today the job got finished ......a drive round the block reveals no squeals or untoward rattles , shakes , etc. Only after a few days use will it prove no leaks , but s'opeful.

I learnt a bit , doing it on the pavement outside the house in between commitments.
Take the props off first , it looks like it will just lift up back into place after fitting he brackets ....but if you drop it down while under it , you get a black eye ....muppet'

The blue jimny has been done  previously, the silver one is still original and will be checked soon , as will the red one when it comes up here next .
I will fit OEM next time as the L shape smaller bracket was in fine order and if the original lasted over 16 years , it should be adequate, easier to fit and maybe on the whole cheaper .
Last edit: 30 Oct 2021 22:06 by Fossie.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds