BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Traction control on the beach

More
01 Oct 2021 19:45 #239055 by pim123
Hi, saw a vid about the traction control of a Gen4 on the beach. There was said that, although you switcht it off before going into the loose sand, it automaticaly switched on again ...
Any one this experience ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2021 20:08 #239056 by mlines
Yes, because sand driving is quite fast so it re- enables itself.

Quite widely talked about

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
01 Oct 2021 22:38 #239060 by pim123
But this was not on the hard sand but on the soft stuff, quite annoying it seems

More
02 Oct 2021 07:32 #239062 by crash486
Previous posts on how to disable. There is also a video showing the process.

crash486 JB74W

More
02 Oct 2021 07:50 #239063 by sniper
Who would have thought.....

Landrover 4x4 problems with a Suzuki 4x4....

Has anybody put a standard gen4 against a standard gen3 ? Do these gizmo's work better than a driver ?

Having seen a novice driver nail Gatescarth Pass on his first 4x4 drive, I think they work ok but are they equal or better ?

sniper

More
02 Oct 2021 09:38 #239064 by mlines
I think they work fine, some of the last gen3s had a similar system. For me the issue is that they need a different driving technique to what most legacy 4x4s have. The electronics need something to work with, so you have to put energy into the system so the system can detect issues and feed the energy where it is most effective. This means putting on slightly more revs that legacy users are used to. This also means that there can be more speed in the system than a "controlled driver" would like. This works fine in light 4x4 situations that the average user will encounter (snow on driveway etc.) but in more extreme situations crawling over large rocks then the speed can be all wrong.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
02 Oct 2021 10:08 #239066 by Gadget
The traction control system won't be as effective as a fully lockable diff, as you need a wheel to spin before the braking system can clamp down on it and the power gets transferred across the axle. The end result is similar, just far less elegant with more spin and lurches, but will still get you out of trouble more easily than a stock car without TC or an aftermarket diff.

More
02 Oct 2021 12:49 #239079 by Roger Fairclough
The Gatescarth Pass is notorious for the series of hairpin bends on the north side. For this reason the National Park restricts usage to motors with 100" or less wheelbase. The bends really are tight! I drove it in my LC with an Eaton Trutrac in the back axle and didn't have any problems.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Oct 2021 19:29 #239088 by Lambert
Having both traction control and the automatic gearbox in a gen3 I would support the observation that to get the TC to help you need more momentum than possibly feels normal and the result is definitely more violent. Having said that the gentleness afforded by the automatic means it's something of a rarity for it to actually fire.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds