BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Correctly aiming a Gen3 headlights

More
20 Sep 2021 20:53 #238836 by JAGtheman
Hello experts: As part of my rust protection program, I wish to remove my headlights on my 2008 Gen3. so that I can fix any gremlins lurking there. I expect I will need to refocus them - the headlights that is - when I reinstall them. The MoT handook specifications I simply do not understand. 

Does anyone have a simple explanation of how to focus the headlights to pass the MoT they could assist me with / point me to?. 

As an aside to this issue, I have a small wheel switch on the right side of the dashboard which seems to indicate the ability to lower headlights (when under load?). I rotate mine and nothing at all seems to happen. My question: what should I see when I rotate this headlight related switch? 

Pretty dumb questions but all part of the journey of discovery!

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2021 21:37 #238837 by DrRobin
The little rotary switch dips the headlamps, going from 0 to 3 takes a few seconds to fully dip the lights and it is not always obvious it has done anything. There should be a small motor on the rear of the light, but you might have the switch and not the motors depending on what was originally supplied and if the headlamps have been changed.

I aligned mine last year and it passed the mot okay, I used a guide found online, the trick was to find a wall at further distance than the guides suggest, basically you start quite close to a wall, put a piece of tape where the low beam cut off occurs then back the vehicle up, if the cut goes up the headlamps are too high and if it goes down they are too low.

Then you just need to set the horizontal angle, just adjust so that the angled cut is even and over to the left.

Then repeat the vertical alignment as it will change when the horizontal alignment is changed.

To know which adjuster to change and which direction I just used trial and error, it is fairly obvious what is changing with one headlamp covered.

The guides online generally have diagrams and are easier to understand than my words.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
21 Sep 2021 06:56 #238844 by Busta
If you remove them by undoing the bolts and popping them off the adjusters then the alignment won't change.

More
22 Sep 2021 19:15 - 22 Sep 2021 19:19 #238876 by JAGtheman
@DrRobin: Thanks for the clear instructions, I will give this a go (after my derusting session over the next 2 days) and post an update. Much appreciate the time you took for this reply!

@Busta: Thought that may be the case, but was concerned that when I put them back I would either have searchlights or be illuminating the grill... BTW looks like mine is the same color as yours..

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised
Last edit: 22 Sep 2021 19:19 by JAGtheman.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds