BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tow bar bolt strength

More
03 Sep 2021 13:43 - 03 Sep 2021 13:43 #238183 by Bosanek
I am going to buy new bolts for attaching the tow bar to the chassis.

Is the bolt strength class 8.8 good enough or should I select 10.9?

I am having problems finding 10.9, while 8.8 is easily available.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2021 13:43 by Bosanek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2021 13:52 #238186 by Roger Fairclough
8.8 is the standard strength for tow bracket mounting.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Sep 2021 14:07 #238187 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Tow bar bolt strength
Also there is an increase in brittleness with higher yield bolts which is not ideal when shock loading is possible.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
03 Sep 2021 16:09 #238189 by Roger Fairclough
Although there are bolts marked as strength 7, 8.8 is the minimum that may be regarded as high strength. Companies like Westfield Fasteners who make Unbrako bolts go up to 12.9 and these will be used on cylinder head, c/shaft main and big end, flywheel and crown wheels. Many of these fittings are subject to shock loadings but survive and would also survive on a tow bar.

The choice is yours, 8.8 is the standard that your tow bar manufacturer would have used in their calculations and as such will be perfectly suitable, but the next rating up, although more expensive will not fail you. Also higher rated bolts do not suffer corrosion to the same level as 8.8.

Roger

More
27 Sep 2021 07:07 #238972 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Tow bar bolt strength
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I went with 8.8 and coated all the bolts with a ceramic anti-seize. I did not know how much to tighten the bolts, so I took a wild guess and torqued all the bolts to around 50 Nm when tightening. Four bolts are 12 mm dia and one is 10 mm dia. Even that appeared quite tight, I thought that I am going to strip the threads. Any thoughts?

More
27 Sep 2021 09:02 #238973 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Tow bar bolt strength
HI,
My tow bar bolts are 8.8 as supplied by the manufacturer, so they will be fine. I just did mine up by hand, as tight as I could, and its been fine for the last 2 years of use. If I don't have any manufacturer figures I prefer this method as you can "feel" if you are going over the limit.  Google suggests you may have over tightened them
M12 8.8 = 40nm
m10 8.8 = 28 nm
These are typical figures from an engineering supplier.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
27 Sep 2021 14:00 #238980 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Tow bar bolt strength
Engineering toolbox has a good table and chart for maximum torque settings and different property classes, see below

www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metric-bolts-...m-torque-d_2054.html

M10 8.8 max is 57.3nm, so 50nm should be fine.

I can't remember what torque I used on mine, I suspect that there wasn't space to get my torque wrench in to every bolt, so probably gave it a good pull on a 1/2 socket wrench.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
27 Sep 2021 16:08 #238984 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Tow bar bolt strength
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI sell them! Of course! ;)

More
04 Oct 2021 06:23 #239121 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Tow bar bolt strength
Thank you all for the info. I added that engineering web article into the tow bar wiki article.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds