BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

ESC / ESP going completely bonkers?!

More
09 Aug 2021 01:58 - 09 Aug 2021 15:33 #237428 by mverhagen
Hi,

We bought a new Jimny, just a month ago, and I noticed a couple of times the ESC kicking in on straight roads, non-gravel, non slippery, out of the blue. Scares the daylights out of me everytime.

Yesterday, the whole system went mad. Through every corner (~ 60-70 km/h), the ESC went absolutely mad. The Jimny was swaying violently from left to right and I had to make an emergency stop on the side of the road. 

I turned off the car, locked the car, then unlocked again and started the car again, hoping it would reset whatever went wrong. Next corner; same thing. I turned the car around and drove home with ESC turned off.

What the ?!? Anybody else have this experience?

It's going back to the dealer in a week (they are busy until then), but this is a major safety hazard IMHO...

I just searched the net a bit further, and this article describes EXACTLY what happened: carfromjapan.com/article/car-maintenance...skid-problem-solved/

Under some cornering conditions, the Suzuki Jimny ESP system brakes an individual front wheel to correct a skid, which does not occur. It causes the car to rock from side-to-side as the front spring of the braked wheel compresses and expands with the pulsing intervention of the ESP. It can also affect one of the rear wheels.

Last edit: 09 Aug 2021 15:33 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Aug 2021 15:40 #237446 by Lambert
I have read of the collision avoidance system having a fit but I haven't seen any fixes for that or this.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2021 17:47 #237449 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic ESC / ESP going completely bonkers?!
www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/suzu...id-problem-uncovered

Wasn't this a recall issue in Australia?

More
09 Aug 2021 17:51 #237450 by lightning
l've heard it mentioned by someone in the USA but not here, ours had never done anything untoward but the "collision warning" is a bit keen and sometimes appears when you overtake a parked car or stop to let someone past on a narrow road.
It's not actually intervened though.

More
09 Aug 2021 21:46 #237454 by crash486
I believe some in Australia had something similar. It turned out to be metal filings on the abs sensors. Once cleaned the vehicle was back to normal.
Maybe something to check yourself as the dealer charged a fair bit.
At least you could eliminate it as a problem .

crash486 JB74W

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds