BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Radius arm bracket broken

• Idris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2021 12:21 #236733 by Idris
Radius arm bracket broken was created by Idris
Drivers side (RHD) the rear radius arm barcket on the front of the axle has sheared off on the front mounting point - sorry no pics at the moment

A triangle about 2 inches accross on both sides came off with the mounting bolts  - I am changeing all the suspension bushes.

Is this commmon? unherard of? 

I am planing on plaiting it with some thicker steel, not just welding up where it has cracked off.

Strangely the other side rear looks much better and the front look like they are from adifferent dacade! 

Also a but strange, all the bolts came out without much of a fight (Braker bar and rattle gun not withstanding) but all the heads are completely stuffed - some I ended up going down 3 socket (6 point) sizes to stop em spinning, so I'll be replacing those.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Jul 2021 07:52 #236748 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Radius arm bracket broken
This is not uncommon. It can be a function of age and or abuse, essentially the steel weakened because of corrosion or repeated fatigue stress. You used to be able to buy premade strengthened plates to weld on but I haven't seen any in a while.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Jul 2021 07:53 - 17 Jul 2021 07:55 #236749 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Radius arm bracket broken
Hi Idris,
Maybe a known issue, are we talking about this:
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Axle_mount_repairs
Sounds like you have a repair planned, good luck with the work.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 17 Jul 2021 07:55 by Scimike. Reason: The new editors not as smooth as the old one, cut paste etc, shuffling things and generally requires a edit tidy up.

• Idris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2021 09:09 #237461 by Idris
Replied by Idris on topic Radius arm bracket broken
Thanks Scimike and Lambert - I tacked the broken parts back on and plated ver the outside, welded the outside edge and a few plug welds. Passed its CT (French MOT) on this part.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds