BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

BODY SWAP a 2004 M13A onto a 1999 G13BB chassis

More
01 Sep 2021 10:30 #238106 by facade
A hundred kilos of zinc on a chassis!

I find that a bit hard to believe, if it were 1mm thick, that would be 14 sq metres coverage,  You sure it was 100kg, not 10? or have they filled it solid with zinc?

You will have the car overweight if you carry 4 people with 100kg extra weight on the chassis

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2021 10:43 #238107 by Roger Fairclough
I am going out so I will leave it to someone else to work it out but to start them off, the zinc will have a thickness of 0.007-9" (7-9 thou of an inch). When I had my Triumph GT6 chassis galvanized, I could still pick it up!

Roger

More
01 Sep 2021 14:01 #238114 by Roger Fairclough
I have done the maths and I reckon we are looking at 20lbs.

Roger

More
01 Sep 2021 22:22 #238137 by Dirtbird
I hear you first time doing a Jimny Chassis and this is what they handed me. 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Attachments:

More
01 Sep 2021 22:34 #238138 by Dirtbird
Got the chassis up onto axle stands this evening.  

throught the cross member

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Attachments:

More
02 Sep 2021 08:04 #238149 by facade
I think they bill you for 100kgs minimum per job, and rub their hands with glee when you only use 10.  You are paying for the time and trouble rather than the zinc. They weigh the job before and after and would charge for any zinc over the 100kg.

You will need to run a tap through any threaded holes now to make sure they are clear.

Next time, find a way to bolt 5 chassis together in a block and get it done as 1 part within the 100kg job :)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
02 Sep 2021 22:29 #238171 by Dirtbird
I used Galv protect on the threaded holes 

More
05 Sep 2021 17:45 #238247 by Dirtbird
A slow week on the Jimny hope I can get all the axels, shafts and engine, gearboxes in this week . 

More
07 Sep 2021 20:00 - 07 Sep 2021 20:08 #238322 by Dirtbird

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 20:08 by Dirtbird.

More
07 Sep 2021 21:08 #238325 by Roger Fairclough
Just a point Dirtbird. The picture that shows the position of a king pin may possibly be indicating raised threads. If so I recommend removing the excess threads with a chamfer bit. If, on the other hand it is just sealant, ignore what I have just written.

Roger

More
07 Sep 2021 21:56 #238326 by Dirtbird
Rodger sealant

More
08 Sep 2021 05:40 #238327 by X8GGY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds