BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Hub locking by itself??

More
01 May 2021 13:56 - 01 May 2021 13:59 #234794 by Elaine
My 2001 Jimny (lever operated transfer box) started doing a strange thing today... a horrible noise which sounded like a fast rachet/something stuck in brake disc/spline not engaging fully, noise coming from the front offside wheel area.
It's done it twice today, once at around 25mph, then again about 20 miles later when I was doing 40mph on a busy dual carriageway (new pants nearly needed!). Needless to say, I whacked my hazard lights on, slowed down & pulled over pretty damn quickly! 
When pulling off again the noise had gone, but the car felt different - almost like it had gone into 4wd. I turned off the dual carriageway into a side street which was only a short distance up the road and drove up & down it doing a u-turn in junction. Just after the u-turn I heard a clunk noise which sounded like the hub locking/unlocking... is this even possible without me moving the lever? 
This Jimny has been my main daily drive for 14 years, so it's definitely a new issue. 

Any suggestions welcome. 
Thanks in advance,
Elaine. 
Last edit: 01 May 2021 13:59 by Elaine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2021 14:53 #234795 by jackonlyjack
Sounds to me like the magnet in the vac hub is not holding it in off position
You can remove the vac hubs and take it for a drive 

More
01 May 2021 16:39 #234796 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Hub locking by itself??
I've not had the problem myself but I believe it can be caused by a leaky vacuum solenoid. They are found just below the battery. Anyone that has fitted manual hubs will likely have 2 working spares they could sell you.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 May 2021 17:42 #234797 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Hub locking by itself??
Are you experiencing any limitations in turning one way or the other? If so it may not be hub related.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 May 2021 13:40 #234873 by Elaine
Replied by Elaine on topic Hub locking by itself??
Thanks for all of your replies. 
We checked the vacuum filter and all of the connections. The filter had disintegrated, there's now a bit of ITG filter in it's place. 
The vacuum pipes were corroded, so we've cleaned those up and will be replacing them with copper pipes soon. 

The horrendous noise which had happened a couple of times only 20 odd miles apart, might have been a coincidence and totally unrelated...
...the brake shield on the driver's side was badly rusted and we think a large flake of it might have caught the disc. 

The noise hasn't occurred since and it's no longer wanting to go into 4x4 itself.   

Hopefully, I'll get many more years out of my metallic green on/off-road machine.   

Many thanks, again. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 May 2021 13:43 #234874 by Lambert
Glad we were of assistance.

More
09 Jun 2021 05:34 #235678 by Elaine
Well, over a month later and it's suddenly started doing it again!
The only way to stop the horrendous noise, is to momentarily put it into 4WD. The noise stops immediately so I put it straight back into RWD and carry on with my journey. It's sometimes doing it 4 or 5 times within a mile now.

On the way home from work this morning I noticed a click sound a few moments before the horrendous noise appears (the horrendous noise sounds similar to when you put a stick in the spokes of a turning bicycle wheel, but much louder & more aggressive). Could it be that the click is a hub (or two) trying to lock? And the front driveshafts attempting to engage is the cause of the horrible noise?

My hubby is going to lock the hubs, to see if that stops the horrible noise. If it doesn't, what else might it be please?

More
09 Jun 2021 08:35 #235683 by Busta
As I said above, it's probably a leaky vacuum solenoid.

More
09 Jun 2021 19:15 #235688 by Elaine
Yeah, sorry I forgot to add that Reg was also going to check for a leaky vacuum solenoid... And it seems that may well be the (or part of the) issue. Are new replacements still available?

More
09 Jun 2021 22:35 #235691 by Busta
Yes new are available from Suzuki and used are available from anyone who has fitted manual hubs. Lambert on here will have a couple spare on his new purchase.
An easy way to rule out a leaky solenoid is to pull the hose that feeds the vacuum system off the inlet manifold and blank it of with some tape.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Jun 2021 04:54 #235694 by Lambert
Not that I have done but it is possible to dismantle and rebuild the vacuum solenoids which is the cheapest option. Otherwise new replacement parts are in the same price range as manual hubs.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds